Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this has been brought up a couple of times on the list. Since there seem to be quite a few dealers here, I figure I'll stir the pot a little.

What happens when a customer comes in ands wants a V-Twin part? If you can't talk him into something else, do you sell/order the part for him or do you send him down the road?

I live in a small town with a limited customer base. So I value my customers and will try to fix them up with what they want, even if I don't like what they're building/doing.

What about you?

Larry T

By the way, how many of you buy from Eastwood Tools, I'm pretty sure they are a worse offender than V-Twin.

·
Registered
236 Posts
fouraceswes said:
I am not sure what the beef with V-twin is. What exactly is their big crime?
Lately? Selling EXACT copys of some guys parts (Crime Scene, weyland, Kevin, and Im sure there is more). Not only are they exact copys, but the work was done in China, and Teddy is undercutting the original designers prices. No permisoin to make the parts, and no compansation for doing it...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Isn't this an on-going thing though?
Haven't they been doing that shit for years?

Mute said:
Lately? Selling EXACT copys of some guys parts (Crime Scene, weyland, Kevin, and Im sure there is more). Not only are they exact copys, but the work was done in China, and Teddy is undercutting the original designers prices. No permisoin to make the parts, and no compansation for doing it...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ryno said:
Isn't this an on-going thing though?
Haven't they been doing that shit for years?
Yes, it has been. It isnt right, but what brings it home for me is that I talk to these guys. boycotting V-Twin isnt gonna be for everybody, money, some stuff he has that nobody else does and some decent honest people relying on the sales generated from his catalog's will mean he is still going to get sales. Personaly, I wont hold a grudge against anyone that does biz with them.

If you want to read a better write up than what I am capable of, check it out here, http://http://www.chopperweb.net/vtwinboycott.html

·
Registered
338 Posts
I was pretty pissed at the quality of the 21" spool wheel i bought from them, i guess in China you don't polish before you chrome? I'm still pissed.
Mute said:
Yes, it has been. It isnt right, but what brings it home for me is that I talk to these guys. boycotting V-Twin isnt gonna be for everybody, money, some stuff he has that nobody else does and some decent honest people relying on the sales generated from his catalog's will mean he is still going to get sales. Personaly, I wont hold a grudge against anyone that does biz with them.

If you want to read a better write up than what I am capable of, check it out here, http://http://www.chopperweb.net/vtwinboycott.html

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I buy from them when I have too. I hate dealing with them, they are fucking rude as shit, their return policy sucks ass and they are rude as shit.

To top it off, they fucking steal ideas and sent the shit overseas! fucked up!

·
Registered
798 Posts
It sucks for you guys that got ripped off, because to sue them you gotta have a good lawyer, and you yourself be able to travel to the state in which they do business.
I suggest a licensing agreement, with an advance, guarantee and a royalty.
I think peoples like choppers inc,exile, salinas boys do that with CCI.
I've hear Billy Lane patented his "six gun" items and will go after you.

Or Maybe since the original manufactuer of those parts only made a small amounts and they know whom they sell to, they can just track them all down and hurt them plenty. Don't tell me you wouldn't do that if you could.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I use them as a last resort, not a primary vender. I guess the last thing I bought from them was some side hack castings and that's been a couple of years ago. It's been long enough ago that they might have dropped me as a dealer. As far as warehouses that I REALLY like doing business with, they are few and far in between. I had a kick ass dealer rep with Chrome Specialties until they sold out. Drag Specialties was good until consolidated or what ever they did. Seems like every time a place changes hands, they get worse service and higher prices.
Eastwood has pulled the same sort of "take someone elses idea, and make it overseas" as V-Twin. From what I've seen, they'll also take a product, put their name on it and mark it up about 30%.
...........Man, I'll be glad when the sun comes out and it warms back up. Maybe I'll get out of the bitchy, ol' lady mood. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.