Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just had a quick questions about different cam covers. I've got a 55 fl and wanted to know if I could use a 66-69 shovel cam cover? I like the look of the non-finned cover and wanted to know if they are compatible and if any modifications need to be made.

Thanks very much in advance.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
The '66-'69 cover is a direct bolt on for a '55. No mods needed!
Robbie

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Youll probly just have to change the pinion shaft bushing in the cover to the smaller one..
As said....

The bushing was changed in 54-55 to a larger I.D. on the shaft..The O.D. was the same..
You can install the later bushing in an 54 and back cover with no problems.
(It would be nice to line reem the new bushing with whatever case it was going to be installed on)

The 36-39 models had a diff. bolt pattern then the 40 and up...
58-up Cover's went to a fatter look on there casting..

Basically all covers from 1940 to 1969 was interchangeable...

Me, Myself and I (That makes three of us that has an opinion that don't amount to a hill of beans).....Liked the looks of the Smooth (No Fins) covers of the early Knuck on early cases (36-64) The later cases had more casting that went well with the Slabside covers (65-up)..

Some boys would get the look of the early Knuck cover's, by grinding off the fins of the later covers and then finish them in Polish or Chrome...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
The bushing was changed in 54-55 to a larger I.D. on the shaft
The bushing change was in '54 and the shaft was smaller on the end, the bushing has a smaller ID, not larger.
The 36-39 models had a diff. bolt pattern then the 40 and up...
No, they did not. All Knuckle covers will interchange.
Robbie

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
No problem whatsoever Dragstews! Just trying to make sure another Harley "Urban Myth" doesn't get started. You are well respected here so a guy new to this info might just take it as gospel and repeat it to all his crew. Next thing you know some newbie asks a question and gets the wrong info. And so it begins!!!:D
Robbie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much fellas.

Prior to posting this I had attempted to put the cover on and it didnt go on as smoothly as the cover that was originally on the bike, and I didn't want to force it on and fuck something up.

The vast amount of knowledge oN this site is amazing. Again, thanks to all that replied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts