Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that will sell me his 750 bonny engine/tranny unit. What's a good price. The top end is off and it needs work. I am unsure of tranny too. It's from a wrecked bike supposably so it should be good. No title! He wants $450 inluding new exhaust pipes and some other mic stuff. Is it worth it? How hard will a GA title be to acquire?

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
My opinion is that is too much for a basket case engine. I have bought them for under two hundred and as low as one hundred. I would suggest looking for a complete bike, basket case, or rolling basket if possible. I am just finishing up a rebuild on my OIF bike and have around five hundred dollars in parts and machine shop bill for crank magnaflux, cleaning, and cylinder head work. Not cheap motors to build!!!! I just saw a complete fresh 650 single carb sell for 2100 on ebay.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hatch said:
My opinion is that is too much for a basket case engine. I have bought them for under two hundred and as low as one hundred. I would suggest looking for a complete bike, basket case, or rolling basket if possible. I am just finishing up a rebuild on my OIF bike and have around five hundred dollars in parts and machine shop bill for crank magnaflux, cleaning, and cylinder head work. Not cheap motors to build!!!! I just saw a complete fresh 650 single carb sell for 2100 on ebay.
I appreciate the info. It's easy to buy something cheap and not consider the investment required later. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
421 Posts
And lest we forget, wrecks can tear up bike engines too. I agree with Hatch, it ought to be less than half of the price he's asking unless he had some really trick stuff done to it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cools thanks again guy's. I Don't even need it right now. I'll just post here when I'm actually ready.

Dave

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Just a few random thoughts from the west coast. $450 seemed pretty fair for me, especially if the engine is a 750cc FIVE speed. Just a gear cluster for that bike can be $450 to $500. I put together a new one for a guy the other day, good guy priced at about $1000 with all the gears, shafts, dogs etc.

Just because a motor runs (and i NEVER believe it unless I hear it AND it goes through the gears) does not mean it will run for long. I have taken apart runing engines that "ran fine just needed a freshening up" that were absolutely trashed. This is a testament to the hearty nature of the Triumph motor. The runner can still have a ton of sludge in the trap, plus if it sat for years, then it is MORE likely to have rod/oil flow problems because of crusty, dry sludge in the trap. There is always usually something missing from the amateur rebuild from a basket case, so watch those carefully. There are tons of little things that a good tinkerer can still miss. I am not discouraging guys from doing their own work, just saying that the massage is more important than the mechanics of the build.

I saw that $2100 dollar engine on e-bay. I would not have bought it for that, and would not have sold it for so little. Basically I trust no-one but myself when it comes to a build, not because I am so great ( we all still have lots to learn) but that at least if I make the mistakes, I can blame ME and ME only.
JEB said:
So what is a fair price to pay for a 650-750 Triumph unit twin that runs, not necessarily a fresh rebuild, but a runner?

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Very good points Wes....I recently bought a 72 650 complete bike with a stuck rod for 1100 with a clean title. The nice part is that it came with another frame (1966) with a bolt on hardtail, and a basket 750 motor. The five speed trans is beautiful, so I feel the whole package was a good deal.

I never buy parts unless they are very cheap. Basket rollers are still my favorite, and have been even when I was building harleys. They seem to be the best buy for your money, if bought right.

I also agree on so-called rebuilt motors.....a rebuild to some mechanics is a quick set of rings and grind the valves. I don't care who built it, I want proof the sludge trap was cleaned.

Bottom line is this.....buy as many basket case bikes as you can...build one if that is your goal.....sell the leftover parts and end up with a free bike.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Amen brother,that is how I came to have about 2500.00 in my red bike bought a roller basket sold or traded all the extra stuff to help finance the build.For example had a original headlamp assy was gonna throw the thing away cause to me it looked like junk.Put it on ebay,But because the restores wanted a certain number on the lens it brought 95.00 I would not have given 20.00 dollars for it.Buying smart and thinking smart will reward you in the end.

Shoe

hatch said:
Very good points Wes....I recently bought a 72 650 complete bike with a stuck rod for 1100 with a clean title. The nice part is that it came with another frame (1966) with a bolt on hardtail, and a basket 750 motor. The five speed trans is beautiful, so I feel the whole package was a good deal.

I never buy parts unless they are very cheap. Basket rollers are still my favorite, and have been even when I was building harleys. They seem to be the best buy for your money, if bought right.

I also agree on so-called rebuilt motors.....a rebuild to some mechanics is a quick set of rings and grind the valves. I don't care who built it, I want proof the sludge trap was cleaned.

Bottom line is this.....buy as many basket case bikes as you can...build one if that is your goal.....sell the leftover parts and end up with a free bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts