Jockey Journal Forum banner

Unit T120 Build Thread "The G-Unit"

71K views 264 replies 50 participants last post by  jdizon 
#1 · (Edited)
** Current Status **

Starting with a 1963 front loop and matching motor and spare 1968 motor this bike was primarily a parts bike I picked up to build another triumph bobber in the works. After throwing on other spare parts in the garage from other builds it started to take shape and thought It deserves a new breath of life.

Influenced by Angry Monkey motorcycles with some styling queues from The Salinas Boys.

In the beginning I had plans to make more of a traditional chop, frisco tank etc but I decided I loved low cholo chopped low riders better.

Decided to get a springer, but none of the DNA ish. I had a custom 6" under 17 inch from neck to lower axle fabbed to get that stance and lines just right.

The sibling:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
In terms of the engine, This is what I have planned.

Bottom End ( 1968 T120R Base )
==============
Cams: Megacycle 510-05
Tappet Inlet: "R" PN# 70-3059 R
Tappet Exhaust: "R" PN# 70-8801
Timing Gears: Lightened
Oil pump: Morgo High output
Conn Rods: Map Cycle 6.5" H Beam 4340 steel Part # MAP7061
Crank Balance Factor: 85%
Stator: Wassell 200 watt high output.

Top End
==============
Cylinder: 750 Big bore kit, Triples Rule All alloy Aluminum block with Nikasil plating + Total Seal gapless rings.
Cylinder Head: TR6 single intake with 3 angle valve job
Valve Spring : R/D 506-T kit
Carb: Single Amal 932 Premium with 3.5" slides
Exhaust: High left side exhuast 1-1/2"
Ignition: Ard Timing cover with Morris Magneto (lytedrive)

Transmission
==============
Beltdrive: BNR

#19 ·
i had a lot of vibration on a unit trump 650
on shakedown lots of stuff loose nipped it all up still vibes .i had to take tank off for some reason noticed head steady bolt was lose (nut nearly off) nipped it up with loctite vibe gone. All my triumphs have head steadies .

#21 ·
Starting with a 1963 front loop and matching motor and spare 1968 motor this bike was primarily a parts bike I picked up to build another triumph bobber in the works. After throwing on other spare parts in the garage from other builds it started to take shape and thought It deserves a new breath of life.

Influenced by Angry Monkey motorcycles with some styling queues from The Salinas Boys.

In the beginning I had plans to make more of a traditional chop, frisco tank etc but I decided I loved low cholo chopped low riders better.

Decided to get a springer, but none of the DNA ish. I had a custom 6" under 17 inch from neck to lower axle fabbed to get that stance and lines just right.

The sibling:

nice lookin scoot! is there any drop/stretch in the hartail section?

#37 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely put some head steadies back on. Also, hardtail is 2" stretch, 2" drop.

nice lookin scoot! is there any drop/stretch in the hartail section?
Killer looking build so far. It's the little things like headlight placement and angle that make something stand out from the crowd versus one that's just been bolted up however it fits.

I agree on the alloy cylinder bases catching hell in the absence of a set of head steadying brackets. There's ways to go about it without them interfering with your look/lines.

Also, the springer looks at home but am I the only one who actually maybe liked that short fork front with the disk better??? Either way, totally sick build so far. Should move along well too with those engine mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.