Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine always says it's best to run a rigid frame bike with slightly lower tire pressure in the back wheel. To help when running over potholes and small children in the road, any truth to this?:confused:

·
Registered
726 Posts
By far the best collaboration....David Bowie and Queen. Gets steady play in the juke box as long as it's not one of those digital ones.

I've never felt a substantial difference in air pressure that would make me want to run it one way or another. It's a rigid....it's kicks your ass...that's what it does...embrace it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polock Joe said:
By far the best collaboration....David Bowie and Queen. Gets steady play in the juke box as long as it's not one of those digital ones.

I've never felt a substantial difference in air pressure that would make me want to run it one way or another. It's a rigid....it's kicks your ass...that's what it does...embrace it.
Good song and good advice.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
SltyDog said:
I've heard the same but haven't experimented with it.
If you drop it to much and run it hard, it'll overheat and throw the tread off (chunking). Voice of experience.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Polock Joe said:

Man, you crack me up. I'd read this forum if it was just you giving non-existent posters some shit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
c.c-huber said:
Friend of mine always says it's best to run a rigid frame bike with slightly lower tire pressure in the back wheel. To help when running over potholes and small children in the road, any truth to this?:confused:
When I rode rigids in the 80's I used the "small children" as a decent pressure guage. You can tell by the sound they make when you run over them. If they go "ooof" you have too much air in the tire. You want to hear a nice "uffff", then you'll know the pressure is right on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Don't go too soft if it's got a tube. I seen a guy gas it off the line with a soft tire and spin the tire and tube a bit. It ripped the tube at the stem and left him flat at the gas station waiting for a ride.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boyd Who said:
When I rode rigids in the 80's I used the "small children" as a decent pressure guage. You can tell by the sound they make when you run over them. If they go "ooof" you have too much air in the tire. You want to hear a nice "uffff", then you'll know the pressure is right on. :rolleyes:
I'll listen for the "ufff"
thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
i run between 28 and 32 psi in my rear, it does tend to help soak up some bumps but i fully agree with the previous comment about losing some stability. the wheel certainly moves laterally over the tire patch due to the lesser tire pressure providing sidewall support.

brandon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.