Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I decided to tear into the motor today on the 73 TX650 that I picked up a few weeks ago. It looks pretty rough. Def lots of rusty bolts on the outside, but peeking inside after removing the carbs, and opening other various parts it looks like I should probably rebuild the thing.

Now, I don't know squat about a japanese motor. So, has anyone rebuilt one of these suckers? Any does and don'ts I should know about before disassembling it? (I've got a shop manual on order).
I'm good with a wrench, but will I run into anything I just won't be able to handle in my garage? How do I know if a part is truly in need of replacing as opposed to just needing a good cleaning?

Thanks for any and all help offered. Smart ass comments welcomed too. :D

Bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
I understand your dilemma. They ain't Harleys, and they ain't Briggs & Stratton's either. I've done a couple of these Yamaha's over the years. It's all mostly common sense, like building any other motor. BUT...the only salvation you'll really need is a damn good Clymers or Haynes manual. They might seem a little spendy, but sure saves you a lot of head scratching and taking a bucket of parts to the Yamaha dealer. [God they hate that, but they sure love to take your pennies for doin' it].

1 - 2 of 2 Posts