Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harley-Davidson Motor Company discontinued the convenience of their sidecar door, in 1936. Ol' tex is my 37 UL, Sidevalve 74.

By 1937 the MoCo must have forgotten all about the original "family" purposes for sidecars. They were probably primarily driven by the idea of saving a couple of bucks by eliminating their labor and material costs to fabricate a door. Wrong answer!

The sidecar door is a genteel and civilized manner of entry and exit from a sidecar of any era. My friend Rick just finished installing an accessory door fabricated by Merle Wolfe, of L&W Body, in Ol' Tex's metal replacement sidecar body. Rick did a fabulous job, and I'm thrilled, and my lady Lisa is tickled pink! To say nothing of dog Spot, who no longer has to hop on the sidecar step, then up-and-over the gunwale to enter "his" sidecar. He rides with me everywhere; even allowing Lisa to ride with him, sometimes!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow .... that came out nice. If i had a sidecar it would also be for my dog. I damn sure don't want any nagging coming from that direction. Nice !

·
Registered
380 Posts
awesomeness is all i can say

·
Registered
235 Posts
That is pretty. So this is an add on? Not l&w's rig that comes with the door already installed?
In any case, looks like some fine craftsmanship. Good to see.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That is pretty. So this is an add on? Not l&w's rig that comes with the door already installed?
In any case, looks like some fine craftsmanship. Good to see.
I bought a body from Merle Wolfe (L&W Body) years ago. I guess it was almost ten years ago, and he delivered it to me here at one of the Eustis AMCA meets. It was raw metal, and my friend Rick the Bodyman worked his magic on it and matched it to the bike.

I made up my mind that the rig needed easier entry and exit than "hopping over the gunnels" for my wife, Lisa, and also our mature dog, Spot, who rides everywhere with me, often when Lisa's off at work or someplace.

I contacted Merle, and he sold me his door and frame, complete with authentic hinges and latch. Rick once again took it from there, and the results again look like factory work. Flat panels are some of the hardest things to "get right" in auto body work, and Rick had his work cut out for him. Here's the story, actually: http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread.php?9406-Door-Number-One. All credit goes to Rick. I'm proud of him. He got it dead-right.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Flathead Sarge, that is one beautiful sidecar, very fine work Rick and Merle. Amazing...
I never understood why the door was scrapped. Like most things, shame on you HD. I know this post is about the rig, but can you post some pics of the bike as well?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Sarge, Slim here, met ya at last months Webster swap... (fender straps) nice to see you have joined the Journal,,, all tech & flathead sweetness is welcomed !!!!
That is one hell of a sweet rig !!!! Would love to see the rest of it !!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
For you guys, Lucky & Slim, and anyone else that wants a look:

The "other" side. A "roving photographer" caught me startin' it up on the main drag here in town:

At the "Two Wheels Only" motorcycle campground in N.E. Georgia,
about 500 miles from home, last May:

At "South of the Border," on I-95 at the N.C.-S.C. line, last year, just showin'
the effects of running day and night to get there:

The sharp-eyed among you will notice it's a 1937 chassis (taillight, oil tank, rear stand) with a 1941 motor in it, right now (finned camchest, spring valve covers) It's my "spare" interchangeable motor.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Nice!! Shame H-D dinit do that from 36 on!! And nice scratches on the Hack fender.... :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts