Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if there is a twist clutch available to fit an Evo Sportster trans? If so do I have to do any modifications to the trans?

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
Bludshaker said:
Does any one know if there is a twist clutch available to fit an Evo Sportster trans? If so do I have to do any modifications to the trans?
I was looking for that as well. Never found anything. Magura is now making a hydraulic clutch kit for the Sportsters that's cool but...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
nunyadambusiness said:
I was looking for that as well. Never found anything. Magura is now making a hydraulic clutch kit for the Sportsters that's cool but...
an idea - if you can source the rest (slave) of the system ..

what about an internal throttle on the left .. and the cable pulls a hidden, remote master cyl (between tanks or under a tunnel ..) like folks have done with front brake systems ..

might check out my bud Buck .. he's a magneto whiz but has done this type deal too ..

http://www.goblinmillworx.com/parts/remote_master/index.html

Good luck ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
163 Posts
the handlebar hydraulic unit does exist

I do believe I've seen one offered by two different companies

euro-somebody?

just looked in eurocomponents catalog and didn't see one but I know I saw a blurb on one made in europe some time back...... and the same unit installed on a bike

and I am thinking the company that got that 2004 Easy Riders Product of the Year award

their ads have that crazy bike that I really don't know how to describe

I know somebody I can ask after the holidays

The slave end is easy enough if you don't want to buy one and of course you could choose from more than one if you were doing a big twin

I think................. won't swear........ CrazyHorse put a hydraulic clutch on her sportster but I don't recall any details other than her saying whatever it was she did to it worked very nice

however...... I personally think the twist clutch idea sucks for at least two good reasons

I've never used one though and don't know anyone that has one fitted to their bike

I do have a very simple design drawn in 3d that will go inside a forward control sized bar but it uses the normal type foot lever although it would be simple enough to revise

·
Banned
163 Posts
Bludshaker said:
I'd also say you could do a straight mechanical twist clutch and just a bit of simple math would determine if the helix for a common internal throttle would work....... but I'm thinking it won't even be close

what you would need to know is how much cable travel is required from rest with freeplay..... to fully disengaged

and then realistically how many degrees of "twist" you want for that to happen....... and this a variable you'll really want to ponder

the internal throttle is going to move the small travel required for the clutch operation...... in a very small degree of grip rotation..... typical throttle cable travel required is right at 2 inches...... your clutch cable doesn't even come close to that amount of required travel

and the loadings on the internal throttle unit will be much higher than such a throttle unit was ever designed to see...... the "axles" for the helix's roller are very small....... much smaller than the typical "axle" found in a typical clutch lever.......

but it could be engineered and done

1 - 6 of 6 Posts