Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I didn't see any recent posts on this and things do change over time. Building a '74 FX and I've settled on a closed primary belt drive (so 1 1/2" or so), but I'm having a hard time finding much hard data to help me settle on what to buy. I'd appreciate any input other than "stick with a chain"--I don't have any primary parts other than the covers, so if I wanted to go with chain primary I'd still be buying everything anyway.

- Manufacturer: BDL vs. Riva Primo vs. SuperMax. I just heard of SuperMax from this board when I was looking for posts similar to my question; the people that use them really like them, but there's not a lot of info out there. It looks like most people swear by Primo, but they don't have any closed primary options listed. I've emailed SuperMax and Riva to try and find out more. BDL seems to have the most options available (and most info on their website), so they may win by default. Price is also somewhat of a factor here; I'm willing to pay for quality, especially if it's USA, but the sky is definitely not the limit.

- Belt pitch/material: SuperMax does seem to have some quality belts. BDL has 8mm and 11mm pitch available, but then all they say is that some people prefer each. They also don't say whether they use Kevlar belts or not, which I would prefer. My understanding is that H-D is using 8mm pitch on the newer bikes with a belt drive primary.

- Clutch: I've heard a lot of good things about the Primo clutch, so even if I go with another belt manufacturer I may try to drop a Primo in it. Does anybody know if this will work? Since they're both supposed to work with OEM applications it seems like it should, but I don't want to get into stacking tolerances and then nothing fits right. Also considering retrofitting a starter, if that changes anything.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have a primo didn’t even consider wether I had to run it open did 10 years on the belt was pretty grubby and oily snapped pulling away in my driveway (which was a little bonus)
Now I’m running it open.

Reactions: jml

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bdl-evb-3t-4 One stop shopping. Already has the ring gear for electric start. Name brand, good reputation, reliable parts.
That's one of the kits I'm looking at. I got a response back from Rivera (don't know why I kept saying Riva in my original post) pointing me to some options; it looks like I can get the belt kit + clutch for not too much more than the BDL kit if I find it on sale, so that's probably the current leader. Waiting to see if I hear anything back from SuperMax.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That's one of the kits I'm looking at. I got a response back from Rivera (don't know why I kept saying Riva in my original post) pointing me to some options; it looks like I can get the belt kit + clutch for not too much more than the BDL kit if I find it on sale, so that's probably the current leader. Waiting to see if I hear anything back from SuperMax.
That BDL kit is the complete primary setup, belt, pulleys, and clutch. They are a reputable company with a long track record of quality.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a bdl set up , back then it seemed like an improvement to me because of the splined hub compared to the studded oem hub and the sealed and fixed bearing makes you leave out the tricks like the ramjet clutch retainer . However i am not that happy with the the “dowel pins” in the clutch basket, these pins and all the other parts are not hardened and wear out so the friction plates do not release that easy after a while, over some period they even used an aluminium clutch hub , these hubs shear at the keyway easily so i hope they got rid of them forever. If i had to change the set up today i would consider the barnett schorpion or primo clutch in an oem belt …or just stick with the chain😬

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
American Prime Mfg. would be my choice. They are what Primo/Rivera was and their Primo pro clutch is the best in the business. Support an American business in Los Angeles.
American Prime Mfg. Inc.
8205 Secura Way
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
562-321-1989
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Rivera Primo "Brute" belt drive (1 1/2" belt, 8mm pitch) and Rivera Primo Pro clutch. I've heard more people recommend the Rivera than the BDL, and Midwest Traction had both Rivera pieces for about $80 more than the BDL kit from Summit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
BDL use ally clutch hub and with a good tourqe on clutch nut split at key way. Shit idea and costly i dont use em any more on builds Also make sure to let heat out off primary ifnot you will snap belt. I would run sealed chain as those 1 1/2 dont last. 3" or chain for me

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
BDL use ally clutch hub and with a good tourqe on clutch nut split at key way. Shit idea and costly i dont use em any more on builds Also make sure to let heat out off primary ifnot you will snap belt. I would run sealed chain as those 1 1/2 dont last. 3" or chain for me
I've had a BDL 1 1/2" on mine for about 10000 miles now and still going strong in a closer primary, but I agree with the hub, definitely not worth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts