Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so last night when tryin to get my hardtail on, i realize the bolt on the bottom left side (the one that threads into the frame itself) is stripped...

is this some funky british standard size????

or can i pick one up locally????

after all my do this and do that cheap lines im not about to not find a bolt for this, last resort would be to cut off the first few threads that arent even there at ALL, and just have it a lil shorter ... its gonna get welded on anyways///

someone please tell me the thread pattern is the same and i can find this locally...

WAIT... i think this is a dumb question, thread is universal, HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA... but im gona post anyways on the off chance

pics should be up tonight of her if i can get this straightened out... i was able to re-thread the riser bolt that was stripped, so hopefully that goes in ok...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
cant help you but dont feel too bad - im playing with old harley stuff and having a bitch of a tank getting hold of unf bolts.....

maybe we should buy each other nuts bolts... in seriousness though - if there is something you just cant get hold of i might be able to help out and send it over there...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok hatch, i love ya, LOL...

no welding, DONE... ive heard even on here you have to weld em... its an old school hardtail, im just afraid it isnt level, it had to be practically POUNDED on to fit hhahahaha.. ... REALLLLY tight...

but where can i get this bolt????

local hardware?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
51ratbut where can i get this bolt???? local hardware?[/quote said:
Sure!
The right size grade 8 bolt would work I'd imagine.....

While we're at it, anyone ever put studs in the bottom of Triumph fork legs as opposed to the bolts that used to be there?
There wouldn't be any difference right?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
if that's a '66 frame it's gonna be Whitworth/BS.

Brits didnt start using UNF until '68,'69 & then it was gradually phased in. for example the center (9th) head bolt on the very latest oil-frame 650s is still Whit.

you need to get the factory shop manual, & especially the factory partsbook for that year/model. the partsbook has the thread/size of fasteners.

some parts & special fasteners you cant 1/2-ass, and most of the Brit suppliers sell parts by the oem part numbers.

another handy tool and cheap, is a thread gauge; so you'll know if it's hardware store available fine, coarse; or "other".

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dig on it bein witworth, but thread is usually universal enough that i should be able to find something to fit, or so i would think...

waitin to see if WES chimes in

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
i thought there were only a few odd sizes that crossed over between the different stabdards - i cant remember - i wouldnt be putting wrong size bolts into stuff though - unless you got a big box of heli-coils nearby ;) i'd spend the cash on the right bolts instead of the repair after...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so you didnt figure it out either??????????????

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AWESOME info..... all i can find oline are lengths, or 18tpi....

ANYONE know where i can get a 20TPI bolt???? ARGH!!!!

gotta get home and give wes my VIN, hopefully he has one taht fits...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
51rat said:
AWESOME info..... all i can find oline are lengths, or 18tpi....

ANYONE know where i can get a 20TPI bolt???? ARGH!!!!

gotta get home and give wes my VIN, hopefully he has one taht fits...
this is officially my last advice post/response.

I got the part number posted above from a factory '66 manual. you send off your vin a guy opens the same book.

go to any number of online Brit parts suppliers WITH THAT Number and get the correct bolts. British Only, British Cycle Supply, Rask.....

all their links have been posted many times, but you young cats seem to be severely site-search- or google-challenged.

or call this guy on the phone (day hours eastern) quicker than email, he most likely has them on a shelf. and deals by oem numbers. http://www.countrysidecycle.com/

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i actually have emailed brit-only, they dont do phone shit anymore, also emailed british cycle, tryin to get this ASAP so i can move on with the bike, 15 days left after tonight my friend... not tryin to be a jerk, tryin to hurry, LOL

·
Registered
669 Posts
Dragon said:
if that's a '66 frame it's gonna be Whitworth/BS.

Brits didnt start using UNF until '68,'69 & then it was gradually phased in. for example the center (9th) head bolt on the very latest oil-frame 650s is still Whit.
Yep, my 73 Tiger stiil had some whitworth fasteners, though my 76 Bonnie was nearly all U.S. standard, except for the nuts holding on the carbs. The 67 and 68, however, was all whitworth.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
take a cut off disk and make two small slits up the side of a similar bolt and rethread it to standard american.

or forget about it till i can help you and rewire it and fix the carbs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts