Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do i need to ground tympanium? seems like i have about 6 diagrams ive saved over time, a few show em grounded, some dont... im not runnin a bat, so i would think since its grounded right through the wire on the unit, the unit itself does not need to be grounded... correct??

and ive seen LOTS of bikes wired without condensors by the coils, im runnin tymp and regulator, i dont need condensors right?

bike is all wired i just looked over a few things and had questions, wanna make sure its right, might be firin it up this weeknd and dont wanna be wondering why it isnt starting if something is off, LOL...

THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hhaha hatch, youre HILARIOUS

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the unit grounded but that is just coincidence because the bracket I made is steel and bolted to frame. I would think that since it has a ground wire the unit wouldn't care if it was grounded or not. I am running points and do have the condensors also. The bike charges beautifully now and runs better than ever.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seems like it shoould be grounded, but i DEFINETLY remember seein hatchs hardtail OIF when he showed me the wiring, and the tymp was layin in the fake oil tank not bolted down to ground it...

the wire should be enough to ground it... idk..

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Mike V said:
And here is the post of yours I replied too with a bunch of diagrams...all of which have the unit grounded.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7787

How is it secured to the bike? If it is bolted to metal it is grounded already.
its layin in a battery box with all the other wiring, zipped down, not bolted... i was thinkin the ground wire was grounding it fine... i do appreciate the diagrams, but i have so many others that dont show it grounded... only show the unit grounding through the wire, just tryin to learn all the different ways

also, all the diagrams you have showed have batterys... with no batt im grounding that wire straight to the frame..

i know the mighty max just grounds through the wire as well...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Both of mine I have grounded, and they work great. It is such a minor thing...why not just do it?
If the battery box is grounded to the frame then you could ground the Typ Unit to the battery box.

The directions that came with my typanium unit say to ground if thats worth anything.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey Mike, THANKS!... not tryin to be a jerk, just tryin to learn... gotta take the fucker apart to ground, LOL, thats probly why im tryin not to, im runnin outta time with this, and cant wait to have her on the road!!! batt box (well like 1/2 a one) holds tymp, cap, and ignition ... i guess if i cant find a clean way to ground i could always just run a wire off a corner of the tymp to the ground on the frame

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hahaha, jsut dont run one... LMAO

grounded it this mornin...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts