Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, brand new to building bikes, let alone a trump. I bought a frame on e-bay (no jokes) and its supposed to be a 68, i got a used fork today, but it seems like it doesnt fit right, the guy said it fit a 62 through 70 650 frame, but my problime is, that when i put it through on the frame the locking part (about 1/4 inch out from neck) seems like it blocks the upper tree, what am i missing? By the way there are no bearings in the neck, just straight forks, if a pic would help, let me know.....

Thanks Chris

Thanks for all the replies, I hope the picks help

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi,Might be something as simple as bearing/bearing races missing or wrong top tree.Send me a picture and I might be able to fiure it out.Frosty

·
Registered
183 Posts
got access to a camera? shoot a pic of the frame and front end. if not, post the vin that will help others tell you exactly what you have (assuming it hasn't been restamped)

·
Registered
55 Posts
SABTRUMP said:
Alright, brand new to building bikes, let alone a trump. I bought a frame on e-bay (no jokes) and its supposed to be a 68, i got a used fork today, but it seems like it doesnt fit right, the guy said it fit a 62 through 70 650 frame, but my problime is, that when i put it through on the frame the locking part (about 1/4 inch out from neck) seems like it blocks the upper tree, what am i missing? By the way there are no bearings in the neck, just straight forks, if a pic would help, let me know.....

Thanks Chris
Without a pic it's hard to tell but the upper tree sits a fair bit higher when the bearings are in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frosty said:
Hi,Might be something as simple as bearing/bearing races missing or wrong top tree.Send me a picture and I might be able to fiure it out.Frosty
Sorry I took so long on getting pics, but let me know if they work

·
Registered
484 Posts
Looks like you have an early set of trees (like 65 and older). These years had the steering lock in the frame neck area. Those trees should fit.

The steering lock arrangement changed in the mid sixties & moved to the top tree (like on your frame). This could be causing the problem. Might be able to grind off the tab for the late style steering lock and use the trees you have. Install bearings and recheck clearance first. Timken style are available.

Wes (four aces) or Dave (classic bike) can set you straight or hook you up w/ the right parts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You really should try the top with the bearings and cup installed.
SABTRUMP said:

Thanks Chris

Thanks for all the replies, I hope the picks help

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the info on my front end, ill try the bearings first, if that doesnt work, anyone have a later front end? Also, looking for a good shape 16" rear wheel and a nice 19" front.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am sure there are alot of people here that could help you out. Let us know how it goes.
SABTRUMP said:
Thanks everyone for the info on my front end, ill try the bearings first, if that doesnt work, anyone have a later front end? Also, looking for a good shape 16" rear wheel and a nice 19" front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts