Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I have collected most of the custom parts for my project, it's time to get it to roller stage.

I don't have a standard (63-70) axle, but have one to suit a conical hub. It's some 11/2" - 2" wider, but appears to be same otherwise? Was thinking I could have it machined (blue arrows) to fit my frontend. The remaining width could be cut down & threaded, to suit pike nuts? (I realise this will interfere with the drain bolts, but...)

Anyone know if this is feasible? Or just not worth the hassle...

Thanx Guys, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
patch said:
Now I have collected most of the custom parts for my project, it's time to get it to roller stage.

I don't have a standard (63-70) axle, but have one to suit a conical hub. It's some 11/2" - 2" wider, but appears to be same otherwise? Was thinking I could have it machined (blue arrows) to fit my frontend. The remaining width could be cut down & threaded, to suit pike nuts? (I realise this will interfere with the drain bolts, but...)

Anyone know if this is feasible? Or just not worth the hassle...

Thanx Guys, Mark
do you have a lathe, or a friend that works in a machine shop? If not, it'll probably be cheaper just to buy the correct front axle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, don't have a lathe myself, & live remote. But have been advised of a machine shop in closest town, apparently they are quite obliging & reasonable when it comes to one-offs for projects like this. I'd be looking at getting them to turn up the pike nuts - rear axle too - as well.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
There are three different wheels, three different triple trees (with two different widths) and three or four different axles 1963 to 1970. They do not interchange very easily if at all. Basically the rule is you need to match up the width of your tree with the width of the axle first. then the little steps in the axle must line up with the pinch bolts and the bearings inside the hub. Otheerwise you might have weirdness in your front end. Find out the part number on your triple tree, usually cast into the underside, then find the axle that matches that tree in your parts book and order it by part number. Then hopefully it fits the wheel and bearings you have. good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fouraceswes said:
There are three different wheels, three different triple trees (with two different widths) and three or four different axles 1963 to 1970. They do not interchange very easily if at all. Basically the rule is you need to match up the width of your tree with the width of the axle first. then the little steps in the axle must line up with the pinch bolts and the bearings inside the hub. Otheerwise you might have weirdness in your front end. Find out the part number on your triple tree, usually cast into the underside, then find the axle that matches that tree in your parts book and order it by part number. Then hopefully it fits the wheel and bearings you have. good luck
Thanks Wes,
I have most parts books on CD, as well as 3 sets of trees (all different) more research to do, but may as well get it right first time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts