Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I have a 68 650 and it tops out at 62-65mph. i was just doing some searching on the interweb and found out that a STOCK 1970 650 would do 105mph!!!! WTF!!
I've been told by a trump guy i know that mine should do 100 easily. so what the fuck?? my setup is pretty much stock as far as i know of. any ideas?

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well not really hot. too retarded you said? hmmm may have to take a look at that and see.
so once you got it timed right, how was the speed then?

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Voneville said:
You might want to check your sprockets too. Some guys set them up to be stump pullers (for off road use).
well i know that the ratio can be changed by changing the sprockets but that will defeat the purpose. this thing is supposed to 100mph stock.

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flyin' Dutchman said:
I run a mag, and it was at least 20 degrees too retarded.... When the timing was right it hauled ass like a motherfucker.
ok cool. i'm running a boyer and i didn't really time it. i just set it to where it was easy to start. even with points, it was easy to start but still topped out at 60ish.
thanks for the advice

·
Registered
73 Posts
Flyin' Dutchman said:
I run a mag, and it was at least 20 degrees too retarded.... When the timing was right it hauled ass like a motherfucker.
Ihave to agree. also check your tappet clearences. me and a friend went out and bombed down woodward the night of the dream cruise. The bike was running hot and slow. I dhad a feeling the timing was off. Went home timed it the next day. a whole new bike. the thing hauled ass

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
sparkymoffett said:
ok cool. i'm running a boyer and i didn't really time it. i just set it to where it was easy to start. even with points, it was easy to start but still topped out at 60ish.
thanks for the advice
When I looked at that bike, thought I remembered the seller telling me it a really low geared sprocket. I assumed he meant the front sprocket.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
for better highway speed (and the bonus of raising the speed of the painful vibration) you need a bigger front sprocket and/or a smaller rear.

the biggest you can put on the front (with this minor mod) is 21t :

there are even bigger ones available for land-speed type use, but you must pull the mainshaft to get them installed.

an even better option is to use a 19 or 20t that will change out without the cutting, and then find the early 500/650 rear sprocket that's one-piece cast rather than having the bolt-on sprocket.

they are much smaller (taller geared), drawing a blank right now but I'm thinking they're either 43 or 45 tooth where the bolt-on starts at 48 or 49 and bigger.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
584 Posts
You also have to be carefull Not to gear too Tall. When I built my 65 Tri 650 I used Yamaha Seca Mag wheels. The rear has a brake on the right and a flat sprocket on the left. The stock sprocket was way to small (results in High gear ratio). The bike could barely get off the line and just couldn't pull the gear ratio with the amount of horsepower it had. I split the differance between the Seca and stock Tri number of teeth and had a new sprocket made. It's a lot better now but is still a little to high and runs out of power at about 70. I'm having another sprocket made and that should get to top end back around the 100mph mark.

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike, it's pretty quick off the line. But to the other guys, thanks for the advice. I'll check the sprockets this week and let ya know what i've got.

Hopefully some of the greaybeards will be able to assist me with the timing issue and show me some tricks.

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys!! yeah i have the inspection cover so that i can check the timing marker. I'll have to do that soon (whenever i get some damn free time, 2 jobs will kill a brotha)

Eman, just finished polishing your tank and it will go out today!!!!

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok so i checked it today. it is stock. 19t front and 47 or 48 rear. so i'll get one of my buddies to help me with the timing shit and hopefully i'll get this bitch screaming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts