Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am gonna be the first to admit , I am totally green to bikes a total newb ,So please be patient with me.. I build hot rods and this is my first go around with a bike.... Just picked up a triumph 500 basket case project.. Does anyone have any info on this bike, I really like stance on this bike and the forks..... This is the direction I want to head with my bike just not sure how to get it there..... Anyone care to give me a breakdown? ...Trying to read as much as I can on these things but man, I think building a whole hot rod is easier ..I was looking at the 530 big bore kit also, Anyone have any pro's or cons about it? ..Any help would really really be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Well, let's see what you have and then maybe we can go from there.

As far as that Green bike is concerned, it has a 1967 onward front frame section and is using a 1971-1972 Oil in Frame set of forks with a custom front wheel and of course most likely a bolt-on hardtail with a custom gas tank, etc. etc. etc..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Any history on the green bike's frame? Did that come from Michigan? Looks like a '70 Daytona I had raked by Danny VanAuken at Ramchargers in '73.
Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, let's see what you have and then maybe we can go from there.

As far as that Green bike is concerned, it has a 1967 onward front frame section and is using a 1971-1972 Oil in Frame set of forks with a custom front wheel and of course most likely a bolt-on hardtail with a custom gas tank, etc. etc. etc..
My 67 500 is a total basket case... I will however get some pics for you fellas!

Thanks for the run down on the green bike.. I was more curious as to what the front forks were.. Kinda had an idea of what the other stuff was just wasn't real sure...Looks like it has be raked though

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think the 530cc kits use 650cc pistons machined down to fit . You probably won`t notice much difference from an extra 30cc`s . For more power , you`re better off changing compression ratio , cams and carbs . Post some pics of what you have and it`ll be easier for members to help . Good luck with your build .

·
Registered
225 Posts
Big bore kit will put more weight on the crank, which I see as the weakest link. Most improvement is in head work, lighten the valve train, clean up the intake. Stock cams are pretty decent especially t100r, just time them. I prefer dual carbs but plenty don't, the single carb intake tract is pretty torturous and doesn't leave much room for an air filter, though those are usually overlooked too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are the bare beginnings of my bobber. Its a 1967 Daytona 500. I just have the frame and numbers matching case and a rear wheel for the hub. The bike world is a whole new scene to me. I am a pretty decent fab guy and I am looking forward to the new challenge.

I was thinking of getting the big bore kit just due to that fact that I don't have any barrels or engine internals.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
as stated before , the bottom end mains can be the weak point Ithink '69 on the 500's went with a roller bearing on the drive side with a ball race on the timing side. Even Stan Shenton - Triumph Tuning, states that the earlier plain (timing side?) bearing motor is a poor choice if the motor is going to be run hard.

however, have heard of Unit motor being bored out to 560cc fitted with standard bore 650 9.5 - 1 pistons , Daytona head , big valves and camshafts, with a reground crank with timing side needle roller bearing .

·
Registered
440 Posts
as stated before , the bottom end mains can be the weak point Ithink '69 on the 500's went with a roller bearing on the drive side with a ball race on the timing side. Even Stan Shenton - Triumph Tuning, states that the earlier plain (timing side?) bearing motor is a poor choice if the motor is going to be run hard.

however, have heard of Unit motor being bored out to 560cc fitted with standard bore 650 9.5 - 1 pistons , Daytona head , big valves and camshafts, with a reground crank with timing side needle roller bearing .
The unit 500s were the only factory Triumphs I am aware of that are over square to start with , The work mentioned above would (once everything was optimized and dialled in ) give you a much quicker and slightly faster bike than stock ! And these little bikes were not at all slow to begin with !

·
Registered
196 Posts
All these upgrades are great , But a 500 on a good day will scream AT 55 - 60 MPH. IF YOU LIVE IN A BIG CITY THEY ARE GREAT IF YOU WANT TO GET OUT ON THE HIGHWAY GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Maybe if your 6'8" ,400lb, size 14 shoes, and dragging your knuckles
you need to use the revs 6000 min, standard gearing 85mph (T90)

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Buddy Elmore beat all the H-Ds at Daytona in '66 on a modified T100. The factory released the "Daytona" model to commemorate that win. This is the presentation flag given at the event.
In the second picture are the '66 trophy as well as factory posters showing the win. The bike in the second picture was used as a road racer in '64 and '65, achieving a sixth place finish in '65. It was clocked on the banking (in roadrace trim) at 134+ MPH on 500CCs. Not quite screaming its guts out at '65....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am also thinking about slightly raking the neck just a tad. Has anyone raked a trump with a cast neck ?

I am gonna tackle building the rear hardtail myself. Got a pretty good idea on how to pull it off. So time will tell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts