Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st post on this site, this is my 47 Triumph project bitsa. Bought as a old bodged 70,s chop which had the frame raked and stretched,top frame tube was butt welded together with a piece of tin bent over it to cover shit welding job. Had a mate Briz retube frame and set it up in his jig before I started mock up.Most parts are what I had laying about with a mixture of Bsa ,Norton & Ariel parts. Forks & front wheel are Bsa just had to machine up a new top race and extend yoke stem.Tank is also BSA with speedo mount, oil tank is Norton. As for style guess it is a flat track/50,s custom ?? dunno will just evolve I guess..Will post up more progress as it happens..Dave

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Thanks for the pics and post. Relatively conservative (i.e. highly functional) customs are the best kind in my book.

Welcome, and please keep us informed as progress progressively proceeds.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Nice.
you had it running with the twin monoblocks im going to go that direction in the future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
richbob not had it running on the twin Amals yet, these are pre monobloc pepperpot carbs had them bored and slide sleeved,prefer twin carbs on a Triumph pain in the arse to get 100% but once done these old motors run a hell of a lot better. Ratso yep conservative custom, done all the raked and slugged out bikes had one with 18" over girders that was fun but our roads around here are twisty and narrow so now build bikes to suit..

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Looks like fun! A good candidate for restoration, or leaving 'as is"...ether way, it's a historic preservation. :)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Questions for T.B.U.:

1947 makes it definitely a 500, right? Nice.

What year and model of BSA did your fuel tank come from?

The heat insulators on your carb manifolds: Are those stock(ish), or homemade? They look like double thickness compared to what I'm used to seeing, but I'm a pre-unit ignoramus. Back when everybody knew that asbestos was harmless, a buddy made me some plus-thickness items from an old (automobile) clutch friction plate, just to see how they'd work (they worked fine).

Further autobiographical note of questionable interest: I love peering at the backgrounds in JJ posters' shops/garages. Yours looks like a swell place to snoop around in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep 47 500cc speedtwin now fitted with a 54 T110 engine, tank is of a 1940,s Bsa c11 which was a little 250cc bike, I like the look of this tank was going to fit a smaller tank but I live out in the sticks so not many petrol stations about,also keeps the top yoke clean as speedo is in tank..I have a mate with a knuckle who is always stopping to fill up his small tank even carries a reserve tank on sissy bar.That carb manifold came from a 500 Triumph twin had to bore out to suit 650 the insulated manifolds are 1" thick look like the original parts for this kit. Trust me Ratso you dont wanna see inside my shop,it,s full of crap and parts also have to cram my other bikes in there, I have cleared a lot of stuff but now am thinking of buying a bigger lathe so may have to build a seperate shed to store bikes in..

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You poor guy. Life is just one calamity after another. Too many bikes, not enough lathes, I been there. Plus my swimming pool is COVERED with Japanese maple leaves, and I just had it skimmed last week. ... Sorry! Thanks for the answers, and please keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not much done to the Triumph (been cleaning out my swimming pool again ho ho) just made up mounts for petrol tank brazed in a old flip type petrol cap and breather pipe same as gold star tanks..oh yeah and fitted and tack welded seat mounts.Photos below is what I started with typical 70s brit chop total bodge the other two photos show frame once Briz had sweat brazed in new top tubes and jigged it so it would ride straight..

I cut 4" out of bottom rails on rigid rear end as it had been slugged badly also made up new footrest/silencer mounts these were originally cast but as they were missing I made them up from a slice of BSA A10 fork stanchion and welded on top and bottom tubing,came out ok and once painted you would,nt know...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
How'd I miss that post?

It looks really good. Your peg-and-pipe mounts look stock, which I assume was the goal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done a bit more to Triumph bloody cold in a unheated shop this time of year, nearly ready for strip down and paint.Rebuilding engine /gearbox / transmission is the easy part.Had my timing cover machined out for oilseal also picked up a pair of new nitrided 3134 cams and thruxton followers and pushrods, have a one piece crank from a 66 T120 ready to fit.Will use the iron head but fitted with 1970 TR6 inlet valves and gonna run 8.5-1 compression.Added a couple of photo,s also moved the bolt on stand to front of primarys to clean up rear end also tucked away nicely there..

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
any updates Tri Bsa UK?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not much else done ,basically it,s finished just got to sort out exhausts, leaning towards hi level pipes each side or a pair of TTpipes?? Dragged it outside (see photo) now going to strip it out get it painted and rebuild it .Just sent of for registration plate ,going to be a slow process thanks to the ol Kung Flu.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I love that bike to an unreasonable, if not unwholesome, degree.

I love TT pipes too, but I wonder if you've got enough ground clearance to enjoy them given their propensity to go :GRAUNCH: when you ride over a curb, even on a swingarm bike.

In a perfect world (i.e. one in which that was my bike), it would run a high-level 2:1 exhaust --

https://www.feked.com/triumph-high-level-siamese-exhaust-pipe-650cc.html

-- ending in a pygmy silencer like the ones meant for a Mountain Cub:

https://www.feked.com/triumph-tr25w-250cc-inside-frame-peanut-silencer.html

But please don't feel compelled to obey me just because I'm so obviously right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Been a while but nearly finished, just got to clear coat tank and fill with oil/petrol .Also managed to get the original 1946 registration number, should be hammering this about by next weekend..
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle
Wheel Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Looks very nice
Where did you get the Ppad seat ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts