Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just re-timed the Triumph ('72 TR6C, single AMAL 930) and my upper-mid range miss is gone! Huge thanks to Tony the Torch!
Now, having trouble with idle. I don't think it's related, other than maybe accidentally timed previously to idle on a bad mixture!
So this thing just won't idle unless it's leaning on the side stand! Handle bar position has no bearing on it either. Gotta be fuel level related I guess. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Johnny

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
float clogging the needle or making gas run in unchecked if the float is stuck in a down position and wedged on the side.

Check the side to side play in the float.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Float bowl not flat.Leakage at float bowl gasket around idle fuel channel.Air is being sucked in instead of fuel being sucked from the float bowl.
When you lean the bike over,fuel floods the leaky part of the gasket and the engine gets idle fuel.

I could be wrong,but it makes sense.

Get an aluminium float needle before you go in.Brass needles are too heavy and change the fuel height in the bowl.Check the float level while you're in there.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sort of an update. I took a few minutes during my daughter's nap and adjusted the pilot air screw out to 2 1/2 turns and increased the idle speed enough to keep it running. Over on the kickstand and RPM's increase, center it and RPM's are a good idle, lean it to the right and the engine dies (unless I hold some throttle in). Now, keep in mind that I'm not leaning it far at all. I'm talking like the top centerline of the tank moves like 4-6" to either side making these RPM changes! What the heck!?!?!?!
CB550Matt and Mr. Pete, would the things you guys are suggesting happen with this slight of an angle?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naw.....tank's almost full and I have clear filters so I can see fuel. On another forum they said I'm starving the pilot jet leaning to the right. The reply also asked how often I plan on leaning to the right while idling.......a valid point except it doesn't take into account that it could sputter out coasting around a bend to the right. Yeah, I could just hold a little throttle, but if my Triumph does this and no one else's does there's something not right about mine.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.