Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE....here are some pics..the# on it is actually T1139N...only ones I can find...curious to know what you guys think about it,as far if I should buy it,or walk based on what you see....thanks..

I recently came across a pre-unit project that I am intrested in..been wanting one for a while and I like what is there with this one... But before I go any further pursuing it,I wanted to check to see if anyone here could shed some light on the engine #...That is T11139N..
Can't find any other #s on it anywhere else,and I can't find this on the site I usually go to for info..and of course like so many old projects.. its being sold on a bill of sale.... close as I can figure,it is around 57-8...just trying to determine what exactly it is..
Any help appreciated...

·
Registered
172 Posts
T11139N..
Nothing about that number makes any sense, N suffix is real early, in fact I think they stopped using the suffix altogether between 52 and 83.

If the T is part of the engine number and not the model number, it would have to be a speed twin, pre 50's

Even a 54 T110 would have had a 3 digit number for example T110 101

I have heard of some American market & Military/Police models having strange numbers and prefixes

does is look factory stamped ?

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Previous to 50 the year is part of the engine number. From 50 up it is just a model and number, the year is determined by the number itself. The N suffix was in 50, then NA in '51 after which the suffix was dropped. But no N suffix '50 number has a T as the first digit.
Robbie

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First thing I thought of when looking at and seeing it was the # couldn't be correct..
I am used to seeing (as you all pointed out)..the prefix typically being the model..(T100,T110,etc)
I looked at the numbers and the surface behind if for any signs of alteration,of which I see none...
I have some pictures stored in my camera of the motor and frame..which I wil download and post tomorrow..
Hopefully at that point,you can all tell me if I should move forward,or walk..
Thanks for all your help thus far...Rick

·
Registered
333 Posts
Looks like you have a 6T Thunderbird... maybe. I have not seen the - between the 6 and the T before... The T looks correct without the serifs and it doesn't look like it's been ground down and overstamped.. BUT here is where the experts can chime in: this one is a generator style but it's in a swingarm frame... very curious for a 6T.
tombat
By the way, that is a later 9 stud top end, interesting intake runners as well. I see the shifter is bent and the swingarm frame has a welded on rigid rear... your best bet would be to just send it up to me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep +1... 1950 Thunderbird 6T with 60's 9 stud twin carb top, the date stamp inside the rocker cover should give more of a clue about the head. looks like a cool project

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Guys for the ID help...I am looking forward to starting on this one sometime in the not too distant future...already got an early shaved front end with wheel,rear wheel,offset peanut and a couple other cool bits stashed..I'll post some pics as it progress'..;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts