Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love the look of them, like a joe hunt but I don't know anything about them.

Can anyone fill me in.....do they work well? Do they power your lights? Who else makes them for a triumph? and any other tidbits that would be helpful.

Thanks
________
Web shows

·
Registered
944 Posts
myke said:

Can anyone fill me in.....do they work well? Do they power your lights? Who else makes them for a triumph? and any other tidbits that would be helpful.

Thanks
Magnetos ONLY power the ignition, they are a stand alone unit and require no outside power, nor do they supply any power for anything else. Your lights and such will be run off your alternator (unless you have an old model with a generator).

ARD also makes them for a Triumph, their setup is a little odd these days, all the pieces are seperate so you don't have the big ol' unit hanging off your timing cover. ARD used to make a way cool belt-driven fairbanks-morse style that I'd like to find a nice example of for next to no $$$

The Hunt units work well, they retail around $700 though :(

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The Hunt mag is KING. Run your lights off of a podtronics unit or Tympanium powered by stator/rotor. Reduce ignition problems, look cool and make your neighbors JEALOUS. Throw that battery away, reduce fab work. Easy to fix if you buy a used one that does not work. BUT. . . not cheap. If you are starting from scratch and don't want points, though, you are only a couple hundred more than a Boyer sinice you really need a battery. e me for a discount off retail. [email protected]
myke said:

Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mags have the look and I love them but having ran a Hunt mag on a stroker Hd years ago I can tell you that they can be a real pain sometimes and finding parts on the road isn't a whole lot of fun either. I was also running a batteryless system and found that an over rev or an electrical hickup resulted in all the lights blowing out. I learned to live with it caus it Halled A$$, but that was my experience with a mag. That said. A few years ago I built a 1965 650 Triumph Chopper for my wife. I ran the stock altenator with an electronic voltage regulator (does away with all the weird Lucas $hi*) a battery, 12v coils and the stock points. It's been a very dependable, cheep and easy to live with set up. The wife rides it almost daily and in 2001 we rode to Sturgis and then tripped around and put 3,300 mile on the bikes. The Triumph always starts and runs like a top. If you got the bucks and want all the goodies, go for it. But if your on a budget, an electronic regulator and a good tune up works just fine.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.