Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally I found a finned cover for the primary side on my Trump, which means, I'm gonna close it off now and put some oil in there... I'd like to ask, What kind of oil do you guys use.
I have the cases that don't have the 3 little breather holes on the primary side. I heard someone say on here that he puts some high tech transmission oil in there.. The stuff that's put in modern trannies nowadays...

I also have another question... I have been running this clutch dry for a few months now. It worked great and my plates look flawless. I actually never asked if it was a dry clutch or wet clutch.
Is there any difference in clutch plate materials with wet and dry clutches..?? Can you just run any clutch dry or wet?

I'd like to get some 411 on this whole dry clutch/wet clutch deal..

Thanks!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey Tilly you slag! How are you my man? use a light grade oil, sae 30 will do and only fill it up to the level plug, the oil is only in there to lubricate the chain. Good luck with trying to stop any of it from leaking all over everything.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Maurice... I've been checkin' this out for awhile (as you know). I've heard debates for about the past year and it still seems to be 50/50 on straight 20wt or ATF type F. I can't remember what type of plate you said you were running on that crazy clutch of yours, but you may just want to ask the manufacturer since they're not of the "stock" type. I'm running Barnetts and I ran ATF type F with them and they ran great, but heard Barnetts run better on straight 20. I'm going to use 20wt fork oil since it's the only thing I can get around here. I've never tried 30wt, but it would probably work... just wait until you're 35 degree temps are over! :) You might want to stay away from stuff with detergents and crap in them also. Not sure how it will act with the fibers. Not sure about the wet vs. the dry thing though. I'm curious to see what comes up. I think we had this discussion when you were here and we couldn't figure it out then... My presumption is nothing because there shouldn't be oil on them anyway, which reinforces Matt D's comment about the lever of your fluid. BTW... did you order that Norman Hydd catalog I had?

So let's see pics of the cover!

Matt D, killer mag!
Flyin' Dutchman said:
Finally I found a finned cover for the primary side on my Trump, which means, I'm gonna close it off now and put some oil in there... I'd like to ask, What kind of oil do you guys use.
I have the cases that don't have the 3 little breather holes on the primary side. I heard someone say on here that he puts some high tech transmission oil in there.. The stuff that's put in modern trannies nowadays...

I also have another question... I have been running this clutch dry for a few months now. It worked great and my plates look flawless. I actually never asked if it was a dry clutch or wet clutch.
Is there any difference in clutch plate materials with wet and dry clutches..?? Can you just run any clutch dry or wet?

I'd like to get some 411 on this whole dry clutch/wet clutch deal..

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts