Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of planning the drive side of my '70 T100. I'm weighing options, and looking for input if anyone is able to offer.

Based on my searching here and elsewhere, I've heard good things about the Bob Newby belt drive set-ups.

My basket case engine had no basket/chain/plates/cover/springs/etc. So either way, I'm buying a primary set-up of one sort or another. If I've got to buy the whole set-up anyway, does it make any sense (or more sense) to go belt-driven?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
What you have heard is correct. The BNR belt drive is a brilliantly designed setup. I highly recommend them.
Cheers, Dan.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the Newby is the only belt drive system that works over the long term, it's the only belt drive we sell and install.
Is it worth the extra? well it works flawlessly and you won't have any more primary leaks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
just be careful cause when the belt gets old it can slip or snap(or so i've heard). i'd stick with the stock chain drive

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Yep, I've seen it. Pre units are the worst for the primary chain to let go, since they have a single-row chain. It grenades the covers at the very least. Best case, is they get all chewed up from the inside out. I've run a BNR for years with ZERO issues. Definately worth the extra $

Think about this, most modern cars run belt-drive cams when they formerly used chains. I have had both types to fail. The failed belt was much less destructive to say the least. Modern belt are super reliable, and if you're worried, just buy a spare. But I bet you'll lose the spare belt before you ever need it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm leaning towards running the Newby set-up, and was hoping someone would confirm that it was worth the money. Seeing as I've got to replace the whole primary anyway, it doesn't kill me so bad to drop a bit of coin on a nice set-up. If I had the original bits, it'd be a bit tougher sell for me, but in my situation, I think that's the route I'll go...

Thanks gents!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would suggest not getting the Newby setup, mainly because once you do, you won't ever want to go back to the stock set up. which means every bike you own you will have to put another Newby set up on.
Seriously, there is no comparison between the stock set up and a Newby. It is by far the best primary drive out there.

·
Registered
913 Posts
A belt drive is a big diffrence rides much smoother and quieter. And nothing to adjust.
Over here a belt drive is not that much more expensive over a complete chain and clutch set.

Chain drive is out of style.

You won't regret it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. I'm sold. Anyone in North America a distributor for BNR, or will I need to go right to the source when the time comes?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
We are distributers for Bob Newby Belt Drives. Call the shop and I'll order you one. 714 974-1438

1 - 16 of 16 Posts