Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just went for a country ride (about 40 miles). When I got back to civilization and came to a red light, with clutch lever in and in 1st gear it still wanted to creep along I stalled it went to the side of the road to let everything cool down for a bit. Started back at it. It was not as bad when cooled off but did not want to shift real smooth at all. At home I start to scope everything out. Jack the back tire off the ground, put it in neutral between 1st and 2nd gear and spin the tire. As the tire rotates there is a bit of a clunking noise coming from what seems to be left most part of the gearbox. The funny thing is when I put in Neutral between 3rd and 4th gear it's spins smooth as silk. Before I check the sludge trap, does any body got a good starting point for diagnosis? Oh yeah 1964 TR6 650.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mblab, the first thing I checked was the blinker fluid....

Anywhooo,
I'm a complete spazoid cause I finally got my ride legal yesterday so this morning I double checked all the nuts and bolts and adjusted the clutch before my departure. Basically did the exact opposite of what the manual said for the clutch adjustment. Didn't slack the cable before adjustment, didn't back of the adjuster one turn and to boot when I cinched the nut down I think the adjuster screw spun in farther. So when it was at operating temperature the clutch was not fully disengaged. The clutch rod thing somehow fused to the adjuster screw. I pulled it out, separated them and beveled the tips and smoothed them out. Adjusted it the right way....Voila. And for the clunking. It went away after adjustment. It was probably fine the way it was before I even touched it.:)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
look at the bright side...you figured out what was wrong and fixed it with minimal (physical) damage..... but the mental damage can be brutal..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.