Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody seen a pre-unit swing arm tranny put in a stock rigid frame?A local i've been trying to help on his 1952 triumph is going that route.You have to cut the seat post and angle it back then use special motor and tranny mounts.Another guy here has done it and it looks decent.Wouldn't it make more sense to get the right trans?Anybody know what a good trans for it would cost?Also the bottom bearing cup is built into the frame,how can we get away from all them loose bearings?

·
Registered
936 Posts
singledownloop said:
anybody seen a pre-unit swing arm tranny put in a stock rigid frame?A local i've been trying to help on his 1952 triumph is going that route.You have to cut the seat post and angle it back then use special motor and tranny mounts.Another guy here has done it and it looks decent.Wouldn't it make more sense to get the right trans?Anybody know what a good trans for it would cost?Also the bottom bearing cup is built into the frame,how can we get away from all them loose bearings?
There is actually a good article in the latest Classic Bike Guide that has a twin in a Bandit frame. But it was unit.

The old rigids for a while ran Burman trans. The Burmans lately have been plentiful on Ebay, but the prices run the gamut (20-350). If I'm remebering correctly though you really should only need to do minor modifications, maybe some notching, to get it to fit..

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I would find a rigid box. it is easier and your gears and forks, etc from the SA tranny will fit the rigid box. So all you need is a box, inner and outer g-box covers. get half of a Timken roller bearing kit for a unit bike, that race and bearings will fit your lower cone. on the top you just gotta find the right stuff.

wes

singledownloop said:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts