Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 72 650 is having a hell of an issue and I cant seem to figure it out. I just pulled it apart and found some loose pats that had come to lie on the floor of the tranny case. Removed, everything, cleaned it, put parts backwhere they go, replaced everything properly, and you would think it went well after that. One problem. I can move the cam plate through the gears just fine with the inner cover off, but when I put the inner cover on, with everything in line, to include the cam plate quadrant, then bolt it down, I can't get the cam plate or the quadrant to budge. I have removed it several times, to try to figure it out, have rebuilt it to the manuals specs, and still same issue! Anyone have any thoughts! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I did do a courtesy search of the tech and open forums and found very little helpful info.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are you making sure to have put the cam plate and the Quadrant are in the same gear. Also are the forks in the right place?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did everything just as the manual says to. Cam plate is in the right position, and the quadrant lines up just as it says, I made sure that the manual was right in front of me when I did it. I wasn't trying to make any mistakes. I am going to check to see that the gears are on the right shafts, but could that make a significant difference?
And I also made sure the forks lined up in the cam plate where they are supposed to go.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, just checked the gears and found that one was missing a tooth completely, and another was a tooth or two off the count it should have had! I just happen to be sitting on two triumphs her, so one donated teh proper gears! I will get it together tomorrow and let you all know what happened! Any input is still welcome just in case!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a basket case motor in a rubber tub that has saved my ass so many times. I'm glad I bought it when times where better. Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
im not sure what loose parts were laying on the floor but that would be the first sign to me that something wasnt right with just putting it back in

·
Registered
243 Posts
4 or 5-speed? Reason I ask, If it is a 5-speed, The exploded view that is used in all the parts books has one of the gears backwards. I seem to remember it being 3-rd gear layshaft. I'll check my book tomorrow and if it is a different gear I'll let you know. Jack

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Yeah definitely check the gears over very carefully for broken teeth, and replace those gears. If there were 'loose parts' in there you need to know why they came off! Something is obviously going on.

Did you replace the thrust washers when you put it back together? New ones can be too thick, and when you put the inner cover on and torque it down it can 'capture' the shafts.

Tyler

1 - 9 of 9 Posts