Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a set a 71 TR6R cases to replace my 71 T120R cases. Everything looks good on the TR6R cases except they dont have the drilled hole on the bottom for the trans camplate plunger. If the cases are not drilled how is the trans held in gear on the TR6R? Can I drill and tap the cases and use my T120R trans in the TR6R cases?

Also is there any other difference I should be aware of?

Thanks

TR6R on left and T120R on right .

·
Registered
432 Posts
Probably used the same cases, just not drilled on the tr6. Though i don't know why. I've got a 66 tr6 my trans is like your 120.

·
Registered
508 Posts
the tr6 has a leaf spring in the trap door, makes it suck to put together.drill the hole and tap.wierdly enough i think its 5/8 fine or somthing easy...

·
Registered
243 Posts
CJ,in 71 triumph used a leaf spring in place of the plunger. The drilled case is either not a 71 or has been modified to use the plunger(drilled). The cases(TR6 and T120R) should be EXACTLY the same. They also used the same trans. Jack

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the numbers stamped on the cases. They are both 71's the TR6R is a GE and the T120R is a CE. That being said the T120R was supposedly a race engine so who knows what they did.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
243 Posts
cj, the numbers are on the primary side case,the gearbox is on the timing side case. On the bottom of the motor, just in front of the gearbox,is a boss(motor mount),that has numbers stamped on it,they should match. If one side has been replaced, they won't. On your pic, I can't quite make them out,so let us know. Jack

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cj, the numbers are on the primary side case,the gearbox is on the timing side case. On the bottom of the motor, just in front of the gearbox,is a boss(motor mount),that has numbers stamped on it,they should match. If one side has been replaced, they won't. On your pic, I can't quite make them out,so let us know. Jack
All the numbers match on both cases.

Thanks for the link, Skajaquada

·
Registered
944 Posts
It's not uncommon to find cases that were drilled and tapped for the camplate plunger. If someone were to use one for competition, getting rid of the leaf spring would have been close to the top of the list.
It's a fairly easy mod, keeping the drill perpendicular to the camplate is the hard part.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I snapped a couple pics when converting my '71 to plunger. The jig is easy to set up and works as it should.

Just need to clear the gearbox out..cover the bearings if you're worried about shavings.

Bolt up the jig

Then its just drill and tap the hole. lube recommended!

Plunger point should line up centered on the plate.

Might want to get an earlier camplate too, they're smaller than the OIFs. I've heard of either working though if ya get the spring tension right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts