Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, can anyone tell me if the '69 and on (70-9353) exhaust tappet blocks are interchangeable with the earlier ones (70-5861)? I broke one of the tabs off trying to get it into my new big bore cylinder and I have a basket case '66 engine under the bench. For that matter does anyone have a suggestion on how not to break another one? I was using the service tool and thought it was all lined up....

Cheers, Ian.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No. And yes. The tappet blocks will interchange but the pushrod tubes will not. The later pushrod tube uses an O ring in the head, the earlier a rubber seal. TriCor England makes a conversion pushrod tube that is for an earlier head using late tappet blocks, but no one I know makes one to go the other way. If you look at the two different pushrod tubes next to each other you will see why. Probably much easier to find a new tappet block than anything else.
As far as not breaking the block, make sure the cylinder is on a solid surface( I use wood) and heat it up a little. Not enough to melt the paint, just so it is a little more than warm. Then drive it in with straight blows of a manly hammer...carefully. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...hello,
use a press
few seconds and without damage
I just put on my new cyl barrels 2 new blocks with a press

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
there is a special tool for removing them with out breaking off the tabs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts