Jockey Journal Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
you forgot to say how you were holding your mouth when it happened. a lot of problems can be traced directly back to not holding your mouth right. you also must curse in the language of the country of origin of the machine. this has minimal effect on machines of british origin however due to the english inability to come up with strong enough curses. "you bloody blighter" and "bugger" just lack the basic fix-it power of say an american "goddamnmutherfuckincocksucker" .

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
mopar steve said:
its most likely some thing simple and those are the ones that cause you to throw things...
Yesterday I was looking for my 1/2" open end. Couldn't find it anywhere. Looked over to the other corner of the garage... there it was... sticking out of the side of a cardboard box!! How'd that get all the way over there??! :rolleyes: GREMLINS SUCK!! :mad:

You guys have all given me some really good places to start looking. Thanks for the encouragement! Much appreciated! I'm going to take a small roll of tools with me the next time I take it out too.

I'm going to go through all the static stuff first:
- fuel line and filter
- check for blockage anywhere in the carbs
- fix rocker oil line
- replace plug wires
- check for wires grounding out, etc.
- pull the mag cap and look at the points and condenser (replace if required)
- drain entire fuel system and start with some fresh gasoline

Next I'll move onto the systematic stuff:
- fuel flow and drain test. I'll pull the line off the carbs and see how it flows into a container with the gas cap closed and with it open. Maybe I'll see a differential in the flow telling me I'm getting vapor lock somehow.
- assuming the points and condenser will look good visually and I can get it started after doing the static stuff then I'll check the spark when kicking.
- once running I'll recheck the flow to the rocker boxes and to the oil tank
- I'll take it out for a ride until it dies (assuming all of the above found nothing or came up null) then I'll pull the plugs real quick and check for spark. (I will only have about 25 seconds to do this if the problem shows up as before)

One other thing I want to ask... just in case. It's taken a lot to get the clutch dialed in on this bike because I'm using a strange lever set-up with my clutch. It seems fine, but if it were dragging for some reason, would this cause similar results (thinking for overheating sake)? Common sense tells me this isn't a problem and it's pretty well adjusted anyway, but then this is a Triumph so common sense doesn't seem to apply anymore. I've proved that a number of times!

Thank you everyone for your help! You've given me some drive to start looking at it again. Have a hard time even looking at it in the morning when walking out to my car to go to work. Just want to kick it in the ding ding!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
lilbill said:
you forgot to say how you were holding your mouth when it happened. a lot of problems can be traced directly back to not holding your mouth right. you also must curse in the language of the country of origin of the machine. this has minimal effect on machines of british origin however due to the english inability to come up with strong enough curses. "you bloody blighter" and "bugger" just lack the basic fix-it power of say an american "goddamnmutherfuckincocksucker" .
Now that shit is funny! :D Yet so true it seems! Some times I'll be working on the bike or something in the garage and I'll just start goin' off... totally exorcist style coming up with hybrid curses and speaking in tongues! Sometimes I'll even yell DIRECTLY AT the thing that is pissing me off... like it's the wicked step child or something... "you-dumbmothercocksuckingpieceofshitfuckerpoopeatingassmonkeyfucker... etc. etc." After I've done this, I start to realize that the garage door is open and that my voice will carry down the block about a mile.... DOH! My neighbors really appreciate this aspect of us taking up residency in this nice clean neighborhood where children can play freely... they love it even more when I kick this thing over at 9:30 at night or 7:00 in the morning to go for a ride!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts