Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I need to buy a new stator and rotor as part of my '67 TR6 engine build. Is there a particular type / brand / upgrade that I should look for? My system will be 12V, and I plan to run a battery and electronic ignition.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you can use the standard 120 watt (10 amp) stator or a 200 watt one, but you may have to get a charge unit that will handle the higher output,
Most of the time all you need is a new rotor because magnets go weak over time, the rotor is the same for all. there is Sparx, Wassell available through many suppliers,
here is a link to Lowbrow's site, Tyler is known for his good service...http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?pg=4&l=product_list&c=30

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not to hijack but let's say, hypothetically, you don't have the 5k ohm plug caps with the high output charging system.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Not to hijack but let's say, hypothetically, you don't have the 5k ohm plug caps with the high output charging system.
the 5k caps are there mostly for the from RFI artifical latching of the control circuits in solid state ignitions and charging units.
most times there is no problems.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yes,if running points you should use copper plug wires and non resistor spark plugs.
I believe I hear useing a high output alternator on older Triumphs can cause premature crankshaft or main bearing wear????

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not sure how that works, Trukedup, as the rotor as mentioned is the same for all. More likely is that by the time the alternator needs attention, the mains are on the way out, too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Guys, Bumping an old thread so I don't have to start a new one.

Have a few questions about rotor/stator. I wanted to inspect what I had in my project before shelling out cash on new stuff. I have everything I need to run batteryless at this point, but wanted to check the health of my rotor/stator. This is what I've got-

Questions I have are-

Does the stator look OK? The bubbles, ect? Looks like it may have gotten hot or is this "normal"?

Looks as if the rotor has been replaced because I dont see a year date stamp? Unless the 06 is 2006? Bottom end is '70.

I just wanted to get squared away with all the electrical so I don't have any issues down the road. Hoping some of the Trump experts chime in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
that's the way stators look, they are not pretty.
Sorry man, I'm new :D

Never looked at a Triumph one before, was just going off of default pictures for the Wassel and Sparks versions. Your posts about batteryless kits and tips are what led me to inspect.

i used old stators quite a bit and never had a bad one except for one that was melted thru . Do a magnet rotor check if you can pick up the rotor with a large screwdriver tip its probobly ok .
Thanks man. I'm thinking from the lack of a "70" on there it has been replaced at some point.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yep, that stuff 'looks' alright. Do a continuity check on the stator to make sure the windings are not grounded and the leads are not broken...you're probably good to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts