Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day my bike started acting funny. About half way to work when it would be fully warm it would start missfiring and cutting out a little then more and more till it would just cut out. I'd pull over and I could get it started. but wouldn't make it 25 feet and die again. I screwed with it a little and it did it again the next day. Since then it has gotten worse. It starts/idles great. I take off and it runs good for about a football field then dies. Almost to the same spot every time. I can start it back up and ride home and it does it again.

Since it started I've checked the valve gap, put clear line to the rockers to make sure it's getting oil. It is. I have a Pazon and I made sure it was timed right. I've taken the carb's apart to make sure everything's clean. It's a batteryless setup with a new rotor, but a old stator. I think I'm gonna swap that out next, but would that even start if it didn't have the juice?

The bike was running strong the week before and I'm at a loss at this point as to what to even look for.

·
Registered
128 Posts
check easy stuff first, mine cut out at 45 the other day because a coil wite came out of the crimp connector

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
when it dies put your hand on the coil and see if it's hot, if it's not then put you hand on the Pazon brain and see if it's hot.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it's not the coil. It appears to happen when I pull in the clutch. I also think it's running really lean for some reason. Now I'll spend all day trying to figure out why.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scratch that. When I spray carb cleaner in the carb it shuts off which makes me think it's running rich.

·
Registered
794 Posts
battery fully charged?
can you shut off your lights and still get it to do it?
is your clutch fully disengageing? if not your engine rpm may drop so low that it goes below idle speed causing your ignition/lighting system to rely on the battery...and if battery is dead or weak it may die

*edit*rereading your post....i see you are not running a battery....i would try running one and see if anything changes...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Read those plugs bro. They are like a little story. Also, another trick i learned over the years ..... let it idle, and take a paper towel and cover the exhaust pipe. If it smells like raw fuel then you'll know. I think everyone on here knows the difference between raw gas and exhausted gas. I would think if it was running rich that you would know for sure regardless by the excessive fumes. Judging by your description, i still think it is somehow ignition related. Do you know what the resistance of your coil is? If it is too low you could be overheating your Pazon box and if it is too high you will get a shitty spark. 6V or 12V coil(s)?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bodyworx I'm starting to think the same. The Pazon isn't getting hot so I'm wondering if it's just not getting enough juice. I have a high output stator laying around I think I'm going to toss on. I've fucked with everything else and I'm not getting any changes at all. When I ride down my street it stalls at the same spot every time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm gonna pull the rockers off. I think I hear a odd noise right before it starts acting crappy. I'm wondering if a valves sticking.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Does it just Die, or is it backfiring and missing before it quits? Be really specific and i am sure one of us can steer you right. Try not to overthink it. It can't in proper theory have anything to do with your clutch and a sticky valve doesn't sound right to me. Before you go pulling it all apart. If it was a sticky valve it should do it all the time. If it idles fine then i would say that it has to do with ignition load at higher idles. Check your resistance first after you check the plugs. I don't know what resistance Pazon suggests but i know that Boyer is 3.5-4.5 Ohms. What kind of coil(s) do you have ? Check for loose connections too. Plug Wires arcing? You'll have to go through these one at a time until you feel a difference.

The only thing that eludes me is the "Same distance" issue. That makes me think that it could be fuel. Like thats the distance that the bowl runs dry. My gut still tells me ignition. I think your resistance is too high causing a weak spark at higher idles. Thats my guess.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it just dies. no backfire or anything and I can dump the clutch to get it started. I've checked the float and the pilot jet. I was wrong about the clutch, it just happens that where it dies I have to turn so I usually pull the clutch. It dies either way.

It's batteryless, so, next I'm going to hook up a battery. Everything electric on it is brand new.

I appreciate every ones help. It's hurting my brain trying to figure this out.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts