Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removing the sludge trap tube is a shit job and as bad as getting the plug removed .........
Usual assortment of drifts and impact screwdriver and the plug comes loose.
Now for the sludge trap tube.....Of course the flywheel bolt get removed. Then I thread in a 5/8 -11 tap into the tube. Just a few turns.Then a visegrips and another grips to back up the first one from slipping.A drift as a fulcrum,a few hammer taps and the fucker is out of there.Yuk,it's a sludge trap...And that not showing the crank was almost plugged with hard shit.
A 5/8 tap is expensive so find a used one at a yard sale.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
you did not need to use a tap...there are a lot of different ways to remove the tube from the crank other than a tap....a little research may have saved you a little money.
Either way, you are on your way to an experience of a lifetime....tearing into a vintage English motor, learning about it, saving it from the scrap heap and bringing it back to life....
I bid you well....enjoy the experience! this is something NO ONE can take from you.....and the day your kick that bitch over and hear it fire.....I promise you, you won't be disappointed! I will have a pint poured in your name!!
Good luck, I hope you dont get discouraged !

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although this is my first Triumph engine in 15 years,I have done about 5 of them in the past.Sometimes the sludge trap comes our pretty easy,but generally it's a bitch.The tap came in a box of something else I bought,a freebie.
That tech tip shows a propane torch on the crank.....I think it's best to not do that on a crankshaft.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Okay, NOOB questions, I've seen multiple threads on sludge trap tube removal, then what? Do you guys clean it and replace the original or purchase a new sludge trap tube, install that or, not install one altogether and run a filter?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
unless it got damaged just clean it an re-use it.
as for an oil filter, Why? that motor did fine for 40 years without one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
unless it got damaged just clean it an re-use it.
as for an oil filter, Why? that motor did fine for 40 years without one.
I kind of agree, and I like the cleaner look of not running a filter (unless you're trying to fill in some real estate on a stretched tail section), but people here swear it will do wonders to extend the life of the motor. I think they have a point, b/c even with the extra plumbing, your running more oil in the system due to the lines, that oil stays cleaner longer, helps cool the engine somewhat, any thoughts...damn, I think I just talked myself into running a filter on my build.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
be careful how you plumb a filter, it has a lot to do with the return oil flow designed into the engine oiling system.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I plumbed in oil filters On a few Brit bikes,A-10 and three 650 Triumphs.I used a variety of filters,Norton with an adapter to take a cheaper Saturn car filter,typical Harley aftermarket and a generic filter mount and the long cyliner filter MAP sells.All were mounted and plumbed in to the return line before the oil tank and rocker feed using quality 5/16 gas hose.Never had a problem after years of use.
I believe in adding full flow oil filters to vintage engines and think a filter looks fine on a stripped down machine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
'some is good, more is better and then too much should be just about right'.

regardless, I think we should stop and think we ha ve 40 - 50 year old motors here, sometimes whatever the maintenece record or modifications it's gotta be prudent to strip themdown to basics just to see what's what.

no i'm not Peter Perfect, i've been bit too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've always managed to get sludge traps out with a hook, never had to resort to this.
I do use a 7/8 tap to get drive side cam bushes out , though I swap the expensive carbide tap out for a nice cheap bolt before tapping it out.

I do think its amusing when you see a bright orange automotive oil filter hanging off a bike with open velocity stacks...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
...I have been told the reason for a "external" paper type filter was due to newer types of oil....someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong...
Newer oils "suspend" contaminates for a "paper" filter to remove...older Non-detergent (4 cycle motorcycle oil).. has fewer suspension agents so the rotating weight keeps the contaminates stuck to the outside walls of the sludge tube area, or settle on the bottom of the oil tank....
Does this sound "correct"?

·
Registered
234 Posts
...I have been told the reason for a "external" paper type filter was due to newer types of oil....someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong...
Newer oils "suspend" contaminates for a "paper" filter to remove...older Non-detergent (4 cycle motorcycle oil).. has fewer suspension agents so the rotating weight keeps the contaminates stuck to the outside walls of the sludge tube area, or settle on the bottom of the oil tank....
Does this sound "correct"?
I think 'detergent oil' is a name for the new oils (new compared to the '70s and prior) that contain the suspension concept. Yes, some or most modern oils suspend. I might run synthetic oil once my engine is broken in and synthetics clean and suspend like crazy so a thorough oil filter would be a good thing. Much of the oil topic is like blonde or brunette, miller or bud.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts