Jockey Journal Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts

At some point in my motors life it got what looks like a reed poked into the front rocker. It does breath cuz oil mists up on my frame. But I still have rocker leaks.
That thing is prettier than girl with all her own teeth.

nice work mate

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You're right kbg , but having what little oil there is up there to leak out doesn't help either.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...KBG, I have an old pre unit and have plenty of oil in the top end
the problem with the old ones is with the leaks; imposible to stop them, normally on external oil pipes.

·
Registered
647 Posts
...KBG, I have an old pre unit and have plenty of oil in the top end
the problem with the old ones is with the leaks; imposible to stop them, normally on external oil pipes.
Thats opposite to me, I got no leaks but very little oil gets up there!
If you stone all the banjos flat and anneal the copper washers, and
use the black rocker gaskets with the metal in the middle yours
should'nt leak either.
If everything is flat that is.
How do you get plenty of oil up there, do you run a feed from the timing cover?
I have a 3/32 restriction and get 10 psi cold and so low you can,t read it hot.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...hello Kbg, I do not know that black rocker gasket with metal!, however, I do not have any leaks in the rocker boxes bases.
The leaks are from the banjos.
I used the copper washers, but not anneal them, but with cement glue, do not worked for me.
Now I put aluminnum washers without glue (because they are so slim)
still I have leaks, too much I tell ya, but this is a 1948 engine...
Every time that I rebuilt something, the leaks seem to "change" the place, but always from one of the banjos

-possibly your problem is with the oil pump; mine working perfect; I rebuilt it few years ago

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
On my '55 generator pre unit Triumph race bike I have an iron head w/ eternal oil pipes. It doesn't leak at all. Wes (Four Aces) built the motor, just copper gaskets, I have had it apart a couple times, back together with same washers and no issues with leaks. I do have each rocker box vented. And yes, there is pressure there, run the bike with vented rocker caps and it is a steady and forceful exertion through each vent. I did not run a generator so made a block off plate and also vented from the crankcase additionally.

Tyler

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...hello fellas, so seems that the solution is only with those vents...because with stock conditions, the old ones always leak too much from those banjos.

Timecycles, do you have any close pictures of your engine with those vents?

thanks

·
Registered
935 Posts
if it isnt leaking oil look closely on the flywheel cover see if you can make out the letters h-o-n-d-a

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am going to use the breather with the reed valve set from a yamaha xs650 as recommended by the guys on here , this is to create a small vaccum in the crank case , but if i have open vents from the rocker box caps the air will flow in through them and be drawn down into the crank case and be pumped out from the main breather so no vaccum, i was going to use small non-return valves as used in pneumatic systems on the rocker caps, any comments ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Reverb - I will get a pic up for your but I simply drilled and tapped the valve adjustment covers and threaded in a hose fitting. For racing, I made a small round steel catch bottle out of some exhaust tubing, mounted it under the bike and attached hoses from the bottle to the vents. The bottle is the vented to a small round air filter. I welded a bung in the bottle for a drain plug. Pretty simple system.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...hello Timecycles, ok
yes, I prefer the covers because I do not want to unbolt the boxes, due to torque, etc

thanks

-what I do not understand why the factory did not do that in the following years? They changed lot of things...very strange that nobody complained about it

·
Registered
43 Posts
New owner of a 67 Bonneville. My mind is boggled at all this breather talk and opinions and improvements! I don't actually see a crankcase breather on my new purchase. Can someone tell me where it would originate on a '67?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
New owner of a 67 Bonneville. My mind is boggled at all this breather talk and opinions and improvements! I don't actually see a crankcase breather on my new purchase. Can someone tell me where it would originate on a '67?
The crank breather on a '67 should be through the intake cam, and out of a tube "spike", facing toward the ground, in front of the countershaft sprocket.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts