Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my next triumph build i want to run the head reversed,either by using a twin carbed 500 or a twined carbed 650 i could do the build with either.Do you guys have any advise about doing a reverse head job i know of a guy with a 650 that way and my motor man said he would help me set it up. Also could you guys post any pics of reverse headed bikes you have seen. I need ideas on what to do for exhaust and just to see what others look like i have only seen a couple and can't remember where. THANKS JEFF

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is something I have planned for my 650 also ( a build in the distant future). I have never seen one done before, if there are pics out there, I'd love to see them too!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I would imagine velocity stacks would be the worst thing to do, forever changing inlet flow with different speeds, good luck jetting that. Even more fun if it rains!

Never seen the reverse head deal with a 500, not sure why. It was very popular with the matchless crowd in the 60's, probably because it was an easy mod for them.

Lots of reasons I don't like the setup, but it's your bike :)

These from Willy J's site:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
thinking it through, the hardest thing (other than trying to tune 2 carbs with velo stacks for highway!) would be the cams? or would it?

do you swap them? or do you just time each differently? its too early for me to think that one out withoutt being in front of my motor and turning the little wheels. ;)

if you swap them, youd need to rebush too as front and rear are different sizes (at least in mine)

i like it cuz its different, but hate the way it looks on twin or single carbed 650's....just looks funny, but i gots some other idears.........

-Rob

·
Registered
484 Posts
Looks cool but....... nothing gets hotter than the exhaust valve. Triumph exhaust valves/guides lead a tough life, even in the front.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
things to think about on a turned head:

on a pre-unit it is easy because you have magneto drive for the ignition. Wasted spark, both cylinders firing at once.

unit ignitions run off of the exhaust cam. Since you will be running the oposite way (exhaust cam in rear, intake in front) you will have timing issues to work out with your unit points.

turning a nine stuf head requires relocating the oil hole in the barrel to the rear where ther is no hole, use an early case or plug oil way.

way too much air coming in. less cooling effect on the exhaust. cool factor versus rideability
more to come as I finish up the one I am doing

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I was able to run one once down a drag strip during a AHRMA race . My ass got cooked and that was only in a 1/4 mile . I couldn't imagine running it on the steet . It may look cool but unless your drag racing its about pointless !

·
Registered
263 Posts
Billdozer1811 said:
Probably a good reason why the factory never made one that way, huh?

-Bill

They had good reason for getting rid of rigid frames too... its like someone else said, cool factor vs. rideability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts