Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as most of you know, im new to bike buildin, and my 67 ironhead is just about done, once i toss on the 21 that trent shipped today, should be good enough for me, lOL...

gettiin a 66 trump ...

last ran in 96, when amals dumped fuel outta the plungers and sparked a tiny fire (didnt damage anything it actually sparked when guy was warmin it up and melted fuel line and air cleaner and thats it WHEW!)... anyways, hasnt moved since then, decent lil bike, most chrome will clean up, compression feels good and trans goes through ok... carbs are now in pieces as he was "gonna get some mikunis but never got the cash"... screw that shit i wanna run the amals... so i need to figure how to rebuild em (ive heard re-sleeving is good),. anyone on here do this as a service for a reasonable price? i could do it, not sure if i acn buy kits for em or not, or if i HAVE to resleeve em...

anywyas, i can cover the looks and fab side easy, but the carbs are throwin me off... what should i do first!?!?!??!?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
pretty good chance your Amals will work with a good cleaning & going thru .. the rebuild "kits" are available, & consist of just a few orings & bowl gasket & float needle ..

sleeving is expensive & not needed until the slide is so worn it clanks in the bore ..

a key thing to understand about the Amal is the mounting - there's a big o-ring at the mounting flange, and 2 special locknuts at the flange, you only tighten enough to compress the o-ring some; & correctly mounted you can wiggle the carb with your hand ..

many carbs are damaged from folks tightening the mount nuts too far, which distorts the carb body, and most often causes the slide to stick, often wide open ..

here's a real good article by Englishman demonstrating how the various passages work ..

and a whole collection of Amal tech here : http://www.ironcross.net/AMAL.htm

Good luck ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where to get kits from? i wanna get this sucker runnin... !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
51rat said:
where to get kits from? i wanna get this sucker runnin... !!!!!!!!!
found this on a real hasty ebay search .. & he's selling 2 kits together, it's a "dutch" auction & he has 20 sets up, & only one bidder so far .. so you should be able to land you the 2-kit set for a 9.95 bid ..

I saw other dealers selling single carb kits for 9.95 buy-it-now, so this is the good deal ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMAL-CONCENTRIC-CARBS-600-900-SERIES-GASKET-KITS_W0QQitemZ190011719969QQihZ009QQcategoryZ35620QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

check his other items too, cat's got lots of Brit custom & stock stuff ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
as an afterthought - I see those kits dont have the float needles in them; if yours are screwed up I'm sure I can find some good used ones here I'd turn ya on to ..

they were either rubber-tipped or all-plastic ..

and as E-man mentioned, a good benchtop "vat" to use with these is the metal can of solvent with the strainer basket .. coffee-can sized .. Gunk makes them sold at parts houses around here, nice strong solvent ..

Do one carb at a time .. just pull the needles with the orings out & the float & other plastic bits, then dunk the carb body & metal parts for an hour or so .. good for many many uses too ..

·
Registered
669 Posts
Good luck with the Amals. I tried to make 930 concentrics work on a 67 t120r, but to no avail. And they are supposedly better than the Monoblocs they replaced (67 is a transition year).

The bike had sat for like 15 years in a heated garage before I bought it. I thoroughly cleaned out the carbs, including all the air passages Englishman suggests in his article. The slides/bores weren't badly worn, and the slides moved freely. I also installed new jets, needles, gaskets, and o-rings. Even after that, I never could get it to run right. Hard starting, poor idle, breaking up at higher rpm, blah, blah...

I installed a set of 30 mm Mikuni VMs from Sudco. The bike started second kick and ran perfect. The only issue: you need to fab a carb support because the rubber compliance fittings get soft when hot and the carbs can come loose.

I really wanted to make the Amals work, but enough was enough.

Here's how it looked when I bought it. I more or less returned it to stock and sold it. Got some pics somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
51rat said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Deluxe-Amal-Mk1-concentric-carb-kits-insulators_W0QQitemZ160009448650QQihZ006QQcategoryZ35618QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

good enough? seems like a nice set of kits with everything needed for like $23 shipped!!!!! if this is all i need i am a HAPPY CAMPER!
didnt see this, we were posting at the same time ..

yes, that's worth the extra for the insulators you get, and I know Steve, he makes his own gasket material & it's the good stuff .. I didnt see his listing in my quickie search ..

he makes all kinds of small parts & different engine gaskets for Brit twins & singles, you wont go wrong with his stuff ..

I would go for this setup for the pair ..

·
Registered
944 Posts
You know I came across that cut-in-half carb the other day while rifling through some parts. I thought "Why in the fuck did I keep this?" but then tossed it back in the drawer.

Dragon said:
pretty good chance your Amals will work with a good cleaning & going thru .. the rebuild "kits" are available, & consist of just a few orings & bowl gasket & float needle ..

sleeving is expensive & not needed until the slide is so worn it clanks in the bore ..

a key thing to understand about the Amal is the mounting - there's a big o-ring at the mounting flange, and 2 special locknuts at the flange, you only tighten enough to compress the o-ring some; & correctly mounted you can wiggle the carb with your hand ..

many carbs are damaged from folks tightening the mount nuts too far, which distorts the carb body, and most often causes the slide to stick, often wide open ..

here's a real good article by Englishman demonstrating how the various passages work ..

and a whole collection of Amal tech here : http://www.ironcross.net/AMAL.htm

Good luck ..

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Englishman said:
You know I came across that cut-in-half carb the other day while rifling through some parts. I thought "Why in the fuck did I keep this?" but then tossed it back in the drawer.
hey, that's some good stuff man ..

really glad you have it all linked/archived ..

& you should start a thread here & update it as your build progresses .. on the unit build, w/them shiny swamper-polished cases & your other fixes ..

never enough clean apart Brit-tech ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.