Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about the newer Triumphs like years 2000 - 2006. I know the older ones are more popular but what are the feelings on the newer Bonnevilles. I saw a 2002 Bonneville with 4800 miles on it and it was in mint condition. Just a little discoloration on the exhaust pipes. Asking $4500. Does that sound right or is it under/over priced?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
They're supposed to be rock solid motors, not blazing fast but very solid.
$4500 sounds like a good price for one in mint condition. I just picked up a 2002 Bonneville America with a tweaked frame, still figuring out what to do with it, maybe a Manx-style cafe bike, maybe something like this:
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2623

Choppahead will be selling hardtail frames for the new motors in a few weeks, if you're thinking about building a custom.

RYZART said:
I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about the newer Triumphs like years 2000 - 2006. I know the older ones are more popular but what are the feelings on the newer Bonnevilles. I saw a 2002 Bonneville with 4800 miles on it and it was in mint condition. Just a little discoloration on the exhaust pipes. Asking $4500. Does that sound right or is it under/over priced?

·
Registered
16 Posts
RYZART said:
I love my 2003 America. I do wish it had another gear, but I upped the trans sprocket by 2 teeth and that helped for highway cruising. I also think it has plenty of power, but I tend to be a granny on the throttle. The discoloration on the pipes is likely due to the factory AIR pump which causes them to run lean for emissions reasons, that's easily remedied with a AIR injection eliminator kit from newbonneville.com- if they're still in business. I have yet to blue my pipes. I would say that the price is right too, that's only a little over half of what that bike probably went for new. Only problem I've had with mine was a warped front brake rotor, but that happened under the warranty so it was fixed for free by the dealer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've wondered myself about the new trump mills,good post dude.Anyone know real rear wheel HP on the new bonnies?I was thinkin that one of the Flyrite sporty chassis's and one of the new bonnie engines might make a nice pair....who knows,i'm a broke ass and probly never will know.So somebody with some green show me how it's done.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That does sound like a good price, I think the new ones are around $8K. It's funny, I was driving to work this morning and I was thinking of what I needed to do to my ride. When I looked up and saw this RV cutting me off the fucker, but then I saw they had a new bonny in the back. It made my day.

That is a good price.

·
Registered
944 Posts
From the factory they are set up WAY lean.

I got a test bike from them in 2001 and rode it to Detroit where it promptly stranded me after burning a hole through one of the valves.

With a rejet and decent pipes they run pretty good.

The newer 900 twins have a little more snap.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also taught about buying it and working on it and changing a few things on it too. Has anyone customized a newer one? Any pics? I like the pic that JEB linked to. I just feel that so many people are customizing the older ones you never hear of anyone doing the newer ones so i am just curious as to why. I guess the one factor would be that anything older is cooler and also the price youre initially going to buy the thing for too. A newer model is going to run you a little higher in price than an older one i guess. I dont know im new to this stuff. Id like to have it for a while and ride it stock and then tinker with it a little bit.

·
Registered
630 Posts
RYZART said:
I also taught about buying it and working on it and changing a few things on it too. Has anyone customized a newer one? Any pics? I like the pic that JEB linked to. I just feel that so many people are customizing the older ones you never hear of anyone doing the newer ones so i am just curious as to why. I guess the one factor would be that anything older is cooler and also the price youre initially going to buy the thing for too. A newer model is going to run you a little higher in price than an older one i guess. I dont know im new to this stuff. Id like to have it for a while and ride it stock and then tinker with it a little bit.
Helped a buddy change out a buncha stuff on his '02 Bonneville last Saturday - front and rear fenders, pipes, jet kit, K&N filter, handlebars, little cafe front fairing, fork boots, progressive fork springs, shocks. Changed the look of the bike a ton, and the pipes and jet kit made it a lot peppier. Didn't have the camera with me so no pics, sorry.

As to why more people don't do it - I think a lot of it is probably the money. My buddy's got $2000 in damage to his credit card from the above. That's not counting the initial expense of the bike. A lot of folks aren't going to spend $2G on a $4G bike, where they might on a $15G HD. A lot of folks around here are going to build whole bikes for $2G, for that matter.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I heard you had to really demodernize the electrics to make a chopper out of them. Plus they have that ugly oil cooler hanging off the front down tubes. I'm sure you could ditch it, but messing around with the oil systems gives me the creeps.

But as far as inexpensive COOL motors, you can't get any better than a new Triumph.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have an 04 Bonnie, and love it. I love it so much, the 79 Bonnie has been languishing in the corner of the garage. Push the button and go. Tons of fun and lots of aftermarket goods for them.

bellacorse.com
newbonneville.com
mototwin.com

They get up and go reasonably well. Handling at high speeds is a bit light in the front end with a stock bike, but nothing a steering damper and a tire change won't fix.

I immediatley put the reverse megaphones on mine, and it sounds great. It doesn't sound like the 79--that thing sounds like a tractor--but it's loud enough people hear me coming.

yeehaw!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts