Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I run something other than a stock amal on a 72 TR6R (single Carb) what would be right? Would a Keihin work or another? I mean I like the look of the stock carb but if you aren't building it stock why leave it that way? And I am just asking for input from experienced owners that may have tried it. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with Amals. Several of the brit bike suppliers offer a Mikuni conversion. That's the way I'd go if I wasn't going to run an Amal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I have a Mikunni on mine. Works great. but then again I never had problems with amals either. My bike just happened to come with a mikunni..


Spike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
They say the mikunis are better but after the money I just dont know. My amal works great and I just pulled it out of a box and pieced it together. My dad used to race flattrack so I talked to him and he said he liked the tuning of the mikuni for racing but he said he never had problems with the amals either. But I would go with the amal just because they are vintage!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is there another brand that might be just as good? I just want to be sure to put the thing together right the first time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Bass said:
I have a love/hate relationship with Amals. Several of the brit bike suppliers offer a Mikuni conversion. That's the way I'd go if I wasn't going to run an Amal.
putting a mikuni on a antique british piece of iron is like putting titts on a bull.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
I'm starting to hate Amals more and more daily.

I put a brand new pair on my bike and it hasn't run right since.
I'm still in the process of trying to find the right combination of EVERYTHING but MAN!
What a slap in the balls.
My stock tip for the day.....buy NGK.
Its bound to go up.....at least while I am sorting this mess out and fouling plugs on a daily basis.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
163 Posts
There is no denying the Round Slide VM series Mikuni is far more refined and superior in every way to the Amal, save for weight and subjectively possible, asthetics.

I've heard often how once these track and street proven world class carbs all of the sudden manifest float problems as soon as they sense they've been installed on a Brit bike...... but I've had no more float problems with Mikuni's than Amals, regardless of the application. but then again.... I don't mount them hanging off the end of a 6 inch bit rubber hose to bounce around like a bobble head..... and typically brace them up regardless of the runner length. And don't let yourself forget how many checkered flags that bike's fitted with VM's have taken in GP, drags, and most any other kinds of racing worldwide, one can think of.....

The Amal has HUGE comparative jumps between selective tuning parts like slides, needle jets, and needles...... and lacks things like a selective air bleed, an actual emulsion tube, hard chrome slides at no additional cost, etc that other much more refined metering devices have.

This does however, make them less fuss to make them do what they will do, however compromised that is for one's application. Let's face it, how often do you hear about a guy tuning a Triumph using both a dyno and four gas analyzer?

Many people who don't like Mikunis after trying them, simply lack the patience or understanding to dial them in to their engine. They aren't nearly as "one needle jet and one needle and one slide cutaway" fits all kinda carb as the Amal is.... I suppose just as many don't like them because they think they are ugly or out of place on a certain kind of bike.

Plenty of much more refined and precise metering devices do exist and many are to be had for nearly nothing. A prime example of a very suitable carb for a Triumph twin would be say the units off a 250 Ninja, perfect size and they work very well. Many of the 28-34mm modern flatslides, both with CV and mechanical slides will work quite well too but there are many other possibilities.

Now the Amal becomes very inadequate when put on a highly modified engine that the builder really wants to dial in and make quite crisp.

Of course the Amal can be made to work on most anything. I have a Mark 1.5 928 (these are rare and I'd like more of them in any size) on my HD flatty. It's been higly modified internally and works flawlessly, facing forward with an open velocity stack. Some of you may have seen it on the cover of Iron Works Dec 2004.

Doing a 4 valve big twin with multiple runners and valves..... and this one will have it's mixing chores handles with an EFI unit from Accel DFI.

So by all means..... give something else a shot and unless you dig something up off a 20's tractor and aren't confident with your small drills..... it shouldn't be hard at all to find something that will offer both better performance and fuel mileage than the Amal.

FWIW...... my Triumph twins normally break better than 60mpg with modified Amals...... pretty simple to put a modern carb on them and break 70mpg unless you stick with the nearly useless stock gearing as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Since we are on the subject... if you do decide to go with Mikunis there is a great book at Victory Library you should order that's for British Bikes with Mikuni Carbs. Here's the website: http://victorylibrary.com/main_menu.htm. I picked this up and I found it very helpful for getting things set up and there are also some good tips for modifications and also it has a section for UFOs and what they do for Miks. The book is like $17 with shipping and it's worth it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Keep the AMAL. If you can use a Phillips screwdriver, and have around $10 to spare, you can fix your amal to as good as new, with a new gasket and seal kit. All of the Triumph motors I buld have them. There is only one small trick to it, and the rest is easy. I know it sounds dumb, but you have to do what they refer to as 'kiss the carb'. If you do this and there is airflow, your carb will work wonderfully. Drop me a line if you are interested in learning this technique and I wil take some pics to show you how. If not, what will you be doing with the carb you remove? Thanx, 64PanMan!

asillymick said:
If I run something other than a stock amal on a 72 TR6R (single Carb) what would be right? Would a Keihin work or another? I mean I like the look of the stock carb but if you aren't building it stock why leave it that way? And I am just asking for input from experienced owners that may have tried it. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
I'd like to know more about this.

64PanMan said:
I know it sounds dumb, but you have to do what they refer to as 'kiss the carb'. If you do this and there is airflow, your carb will work wonderfully. Drop me a line if you are interested in learning this technique and I wil take some pics to show you how.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
asillymick said:
So is there another brand that might be just as good? I just want to be sure to put the thing together right the first time.
Do a google search under "Dellorto motorcycle carburettors" I seem to recall a few guys in the seventies fitting them with success. Also amal mk2,s and lectrons are other choices .A mate had a pair of lectrons on his bonnie and reckoned they were the best carbs he had on a triumph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
HackAsaw said:
There is no denying the Round Slide VM series Mikuni is far more refined and superior in every way to the Amal, save for weight and subjectively possible, asthetics.

I've heard often how once these track and street proven world class carbs all of the sudden manifest float problems as soon as they sense they've been installed on a Brit bike...... but I've had no more float problems with Mikuni's than Amals, regardless of the application. but then again.... I don't mount them hanging off the end of a 6 inch bit rubber hose to bounce around like a bobble head..... and typically brace them up regardless of the runner length. And don't let yourself forget how many checkered flags that bike's fitted with VM's have taken in GP, drags, and most any other kinds of racing worldwide, one can think of.....

The Amal has HUGE comparative jumps between selective tuning parts like slides, needle jets, and needles...... and lacks things like a selective air bleed, an actual emulsion tube, hard chrome slides at no additional cost, etc that other much more refined metering devices have.

This does however, make them less fuss to make them do what they will do, however compromised that is for one's application. Let's face it, how often do you hear about a guy tuning a Triumph using both a dyno and four gas analyzer?

Many people who don't like Mikunis after trying them, simply lack the patience or understanding to dial them in to their engine. They aren't nearly as "one needle jet and one needle and one slide cutaway" fits all kinda carb as the Amal is.... I suppose just as many don't like them because they think they are ugly or out of place on a certain kind of bike.

Plenty of much more refined and precise metering devices do exist and many are to be had for nearly nothing. A prime example of a very suitable carb for a Triumph twin would be say the units off a 250 Ninja, perfect size and they work very well. Many of the 28-34mm modern flatslides, both with CV and mechanical slides will work quite well too but there are many other possibilities.

Now the Amal becomes very inadequate when put on a highly modified engine that the builder really wants to dial in and make quite crisp.

Of course the Amal can be made to work on most anything. I have a Mark 1.5 928 (these are rare and I'd like more of them in any size) on my HD flatty. It's been higly modified internally and works flawlessly, facing forward with an open velocity stack. Some of you may have seen it on the cover of Iron Works Dec 2004.

Doing a 4 valve big twin with multiple runners and valves..... and this one will have it's mixing chores handles with an EFI unit from Accel DFI.

So by all means..... give something else a shot and unless you dig something up off a 20's tractor and aren't confident with your small drills..... it shouldn't be hard at all to find something that will offer both better performance and fuel mileage than the Amal.

FWIW...... my Triumph twins normally break better than 60mpg with modified Amals...... pretty simple to put a modern carb on them and break 70mpg unless you stick with the nearly useless stock gearing as well.
hacksaw, before you use the accel dfi maybe consider the mega squirt? i'm seriously considering going mega squirt with my triumph twin with 2 suzuki sv throttle bodies. ofcoarse i've got to upgrade the charging system first. you've probably heard of ms, if not here's the forum http://www.msefi.com/index.php does the same thing the accel dfi, big stuff, ect. does but at a fraction of the price. it's a batch fire sytem and can be pulsed off the coils. the only part i need to become inventive with mine is with a temp sensor mounted on the head. probably be hidden by the rocker box anyway. i'm also going to do a reverse head for clearence. just thought it would be cool having twin tb's hanging out front on a vintage bobber :)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top