Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is a 69 bonnie.
im trying to figure out what part is missing (and the exact name of the part) inside the gearbox cover that makes contact with the transmission gear. i feel like my motor is missing that piece since the shift lever does not engage the gear on the transmission. it's been awhile since i had a triumph,but if memory serves me right,shouldnt something go in the two holes on the inside of the gearbox cover? for some reason my mind is drawing a blank.
a pic of the part would be nice too,since this motor was supposed to be completely rebuilt by some asshat.

any help would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Those are the part numbers. You can use the T406 & T404 but they also convert to 57-0406 & 57-0404 respectively.

You can get them new from British Only or most likely any of the suppliers. I just use British Only a lot because of their on-line catalog. But, they are pricey.

Maybe advertise for them or hit up a member on here, username Flyingsquirrel.

are those the part #'s?
if so,where can i get them?
and thank you for your response.
i appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are the part numbers. You can use the T406 & T404 but they also convert to 57-0406 & 57-0404 respectively.

You can get them new from British Only or most likely any of the suppliers. I just use British Only a lot because of their on-line catalog. But, they are pricey.

Maybe advertise for them or hit up a member on here, username Flyingsquirrel.
thanks for the info.
what about these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/57-0406-TRI...5576&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool. thanks guys. i found springs too. a little pricey,but i guess i have to get them.
did a rtrade deal with an asshat out of WV for this motor and a bunch of parts. needles to say,the motor is missing a bunch of stuff.....you know...because its "rebuilt" right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
went ahead and bought all of it just now.
thanks again for your guy's help.
i appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This ain't gonna surprise you, but that 'U' shaped plate is upside down. The 'ramps' face the shifter cover.

Cosmo
....why am i not surprised:mad::rolleyes:

im not exactly sure by which way you mean it is supposed to be facing. i have it right here in front of me with wrench in hand.

thanks again for your noticable input. i appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Should be this way round:

when you get the parts in your hand you will see how it can only work one way.
got it. thanks man.
im having trouble getting the kicker spring wound up right now and having the gearbox cover slide all the way onto the base of the motor??
i keep trying to get the kicker gear past that other gear,but its just not letting me.
forgive me,im really excited to be back around a triumpg,but there is alot of little things i cant remember off the top of my head.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Watch the video titled
TR6 Build: Transmission

on youtube. You have to wind the spring one full turn and the kicker will be at a 90 degree angle or horizontal to you while you install the kicker cover. You can see it in that video.

Here is the URL

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i got everything buttoned up. but now,when i slide the gear box cover onto the motor,i cant get the quadrant plungers to line up correctly or something to the shift plate (piece that the plungers engage to shift gears).
the shift plate is all the way down and wont move by hand or anything.
anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
726 Posts
either your qaudrant [piece that the plungers engage to shift gears) is not "indexed" correctly or you just need to spin the engine some......these trannys are not "syncro`ed [per say] and you could be going tooth to tooth...pull the plugs and spin the engine some while shifting, it should shift....of course, my buddy, after reviewing MANY sources on how to index the quadrant [including this forum] he STILL managed to index 1rst gear on the quadrant whilist the tranny was in 5th.....tranny was locked solid, so of course, he called all of his sportbike riding friends and a couple of harley guys over to fix it.......they were still there when i got there...15 minutes woth of re-indexing and this thing shifts great, but STILL wont hardly shift "static"! roll the motor some and every gear can be found!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...the problem is that you fit that middle cover with the quadrant in the wrong slot.
Put the quadrant aligned with the hole besides. Push the cover until you are about 3/8 or so from the gearbox case, align the middle of the quadrant then push again.
Test all the gears with a screwdriver

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.