Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay this is happening on the exhaust side of my 750 triumph .... I installed the pushrods .. when they are both in the down position I rotate the engine the right side pushrod moves up and then back down .. then the BOTH pushrods move up and then back bown . I'm sure the pushrods are on there lifters ... one pushrod is not riding on the other .

thinking back when I installed the cams the exhaust cam seemed to go in further than I thought it should ( the keyway was rubbing against the cam bushing so I pulled it out a bit installed the key and gear

the question I have is .... can the exhaust cam be installed so deep that the right side lifter is picking up the left side lobe in addition to its own?

·
Registered
258 Posts
When you installed the cam timing gear onto the cam, it should pull the cam into place. That lip on the cam should flush up against the bushing. Kinda hard to explain, but you know what I mean.

I've heard of reproductions cam bushings being longer than OE bushings. not sure if that could cause the cam to be that far over though.

Did you use the factory tool to install cam gears? gears fully seated on the cams?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah I see what ya mean, does sound like the cam is too far left. Sure the pushrods seated on the rocker ball pins correctly?

Is the timing cover off? Would be good to take a look and make sure the cam nut didn;t back off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the rockers on and thats when I noticed what was going on . I removed the rocker box put a little grease on the end of the pushrods installed them and with the suction from the grease ( pushrod to lifter ) I can raise and lower the lifters .. so I feel they are operating correctly

when I had the case apart I replaced the cam bushings and installed new cams ... is there enough room inside the case to allow the exhaust cam to be so far to the left that the left side lifter can pick up the edge of the right side lifters cam lobe?

I plan to make a puller that attaches to the cam wheel and try to pull cam and gear out some and see if cam gear is fully seated on the keyway

seems the cam gear is the only thing that sets the depth the cam
everybody agree?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I plan to make a puller that attaches to the cam wheel and try to pull cam and gear out some and see if cam gear is fully seated on the keyway
This statement leads me to believe you do not have a cam gear removal/instaltion tool, right? If this is the case, that is the problem. Attempting to install or remove cam gears with out the proper tool will likely, at the least, yield your result, and at worst damage the gears/case/cam/bushings. I'm not saying it is impossible to get by without one, but I wouldn't attempt it. (Yes, the cam gear being fully seated is what controls the thrust of the cam) Here is what the tool looks like:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(Yes, the cam gear being fully seated is what controls the thrust of the cam)

So tightening the nut on the end of cam until ( I guess the cam has a shoulder on it ) the cam gear seats on key and shoulder sets the end play of the cam ... then it WILL be in the correct place .....

I'll check it after work today ..... thanks everybody

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
...it should...don't check the top of the pushrods...check at the lifter blocks with the pushrod tubes removed ...you will have direct input if one or both of the lifters is riding on the same lobe ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.