Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a line on a cheap triumph duplex frame with bolt on hardtail. The only engine/tranny I have access to is an older mid-late 50's model. It's all 650 stuff.

I'm completely new to pre-units, does anyone know if this engine combo will fit in this frame?

Thanks,

Cory

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
where you at in TN?

generally the pre-unit stuff is interchangeable 1954 to 1962, but I am not sure if there is a generator clearance problem with the duplex frame. However, you can always go alternator (if your cases are late enough) by switching out the primary and such. This is easier and saves a bunch of dough on the genny rebuild.

Might as Classicbike Dave on this forum

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can you be more specific on the year of the engine/tranny? besides the issue raised in the prior post some 50's motors were for rigid frames and may not fit the duplex which was only made '60 to '62. tranny was diff for the rigid plus they had about 1" longer inner and outter primary cases. that added length could also present a problem. got a vin on the engine?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine/tranny is in a friends shop, He told me he thought it was a '56 or '57, It is currently in a rigid frame that has been hacked pretty badly.

If a '60-'62 combo is the way to go, I'm patient and can wait until one comes along (unless they are near impossible to find).

I just finished a Guzzi project and have had a pile of triumph parts lying around, but no engine/frame. My parts are actually geared towards a unit build, but a cheap frame and the current popularity of unit bobbers is steering me down an unknown path.

Thanks for the help, let me know what you think.

BTW, I'm currently about 40miles west of Nashville.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The nearest town to me is Burns(not really a town anymore), but I'm in the Dickson area.

I drove through Lexington, TN Friday on my way to the Barber museum in Birmingham. If you ever visit your kin in TN, Barber is well worth the trip. That place is the vintage bike mecca. The board track display is sweeeeeet.

Cory

I've never heard of Enville?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts