Jockey Journal Forum banner

Triumph Pre- unit Fork Assemby Options

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  fouraceswes 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok,, I have these old 50's legs, what guts can I run to get these working ? They use 33mm tubes, so can I use any Triumph ( internal ) for set up with them ? or are the somehow specific to certain parts ? Also I want to run 4 over tubes,,will there need to be changes for that ?

Thanks

#3 ·
Those are what I would call "rigid" legs, that is they went on rigid frame bikes primarily (like 1946 to 1954). Although they did go on early swingarm bikes too. Unfortunately in my experience, there are no dampning units that will fit those legs except the correct ones from the era. They are in short supply and about $125 to $150 each new when you can find them. When buying used, buy the straightest examples you can find. Otherwise it is very very difficult to make it work. To use four over tubes, you would need to extend the rod part of the dampner four inches or so and slug up the springs or use pieces of another spring. It would get clappy fast if you did not do it right and extending the dampners will be tricky since they need to be perfectly straight. Good luck.

#9 ·
Ok. Yes the screw that holds them in is bigger than later models. Therefore the hole in the bottom of the leg is bigger than later models. There is also a locator pin in the bottom of the "rigid" dampner, where as later models use a small shouldered screw that goes into the side of the leg and locates in a slot in the dampner. I have seen guys jack stuff together, but those old front ends are wacky enough without mixing the wrong stuff with the wrong stuff. $190 per pair is awesome, I just bought two from one of my suppliers and paid $11 more than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.