Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if any local places (auto, lawn, whatever) carry Champion N3C's or anything else that might work for my Triumph 650? I'm trying to get my carbs dialed in, but am going through plugs like crazy trying to get them where I need them. It would be nice if there was a place I could just go get them instead of having to order them all the time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My local big house parts store had a conversion for me to convert plugs over from old numbers to what was made now. Try Advanced or Autozone locally. Let me see if I can dig up what you need on the net though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok I just did a cross reference and I found out that the NGK cross reference plug (same exact plug made by NGK) is the B8ES. This is a common plug that you will be able to find at your local part store. In fact it is so common that you will want to call before you show up as they sell well but they should have it in stock everywhere. Oh and they don't foul up as quick like the Champions. In my 2 strokes NGK's will last 4 to 8 seasons where Champions die in 2 or less season. Oh and I did the cross reference at www.clubplug.net

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i forget the NGK part# ,but i believe there is a champion equivilant plug. and those can be found at any auto parts house.
a lot of auto part shops will have NGKs also. if ya dont have the # they can sometimes look it up for ya.
if no one has the answer in a couple hours i'll look it up when i get home.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh and also they number in the part number B8ES is your heat range. If you're fouling plugs you should definetly go up in heat range. So to go up in heat range you go down in number. Try a B7ES or B6ES. If you do more highway go with a colder plug like the 7 but if you are in the city short tripping it then go with hotter like 6 or even 5 if need be. Remember that different gas will require different heat range plugs, and the gas that bike was designed to run on is not pumped right now so you might need to go hotter on the plugs.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Running 91 and I'm running short trips. Joe Hunt mag. I may not be fouling the plugs actually. I'm soaking the hell out of them because my carbs are WAAAY out of adjustment. Trying keep it running long enough to get them dialed in!!

Anyone have the equivalent for the Champions? I just remembered I have a NGK I can look at also.

·
Registered
396 Posts
triumph likes

NGK B8Es
Champion n3c

the way to check your bikes condition is to

run it WFO (wide friggin open)
shut it down (cut it...kill it....switch it off)
let off the throttle while pulling in or depressing the clutch
brake to a stop

black & sooty (rich)
white (lean)
chocolatey brown (just right)

adjust to taste

and my man Buck says mags like autolite (non-resistor)

says you'll never go back to champions.....

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Running 91 and I'm running short trips. Joe Hunt mag. I may not be fouling the plugs actually. I'm soaking the hell out of them because my carbs are WAAAY out of adjustment. Trying keep it running long enough to get them dialed in!!

Anyone have the equivalent for the Champions? I just remembered I have a NGK I can look at also.
NGK B8 should = Champion N4 .. any decent parts house should have a chart, but here's you a basic one for Triumphs:

http://www.britishonly.com/tech/tips/recommendedsparkplugs.asp

but yes, absolutely, if it's a working magneto and plugs are wet w/gas START at the carbs ..

if Amals, drop the needle in the jet - by raising the clip on the needle .. if mikunis, well thats your main problem, plus I dont know how the needle is fixed to their slides .. but yes, sounds like you're way rich/overjetted ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, black and suity instantly! I can pull them, clean them, run them for 30 seconds and they're wet and black right away!! WAAAAYYY too rich.... I'll drop the needle a notch and reject accordingly.

Autolites huh.... P/N?? I'll give 'em a go for sure!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Been told by one of the old guys around here that NGK can be a problem for some reason or another on the Brit stuff , I have never run then so I cant speak from experience.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I normally like to run the Champions because that's what was really meant to be run with the bike, but as long as they're not the extended plugs (PB8E) I think the NGKs are probably fine and may not really be much different for the "regular" type OE plug.

Does anyone have any personal experience with Autolites in Trumps? I'm reluctant to run a plug I know nothing about.

·
Registered
372 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Anyone know if any local places (auto, lawn, whatever) carry Champion N3C's or anything else that might work for my Triumph 650? I'm trying to get my carbs dialed in, but am going through plugs like crazy trying to get them where I need them. It would be nice if there was a place I could just go get them instead of having to order them all the time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Should be able to get 'em anywhere. I've bought 'em at O'Reilly's, as well as Walmart. The new Champion part number is 801, the old number is N3C. Same plug fit a shitload of different applications.

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/results_fitment.asp?pid=801

http://tinyurl.com/kfr43

·
Registered
372 Posts
NoPaint said:
Ok I just did a cross reference and I found out that the NGK cross reference plug (same exact plug made by NGK) is the B8ES. This is a common plug that you will be able to find at your local part store. In fact it is so common that you will want to call before you show up as they sell well but they should have it in stock everywhere. Oh and they don't foul up as quick like the Champions. In my 2 strokes NGK's will last 4 to 8 seasons where Champions die in 2 or less season. Oh and I did the cross reference at www.clubplug.net
They'll foul very quickly in the Triumph, based on my experience. I tried 'em when I first bought my bike in '98, replaced 'em way too often. Champion #801 is the new number for the old N3C plugs.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
B7ES NGK . Work awsome with a mag .

Don't keep running your bike untyil you check your oil . If you are that rich you are dumping gas into your oil making it less thick .
Take off your carbs and start at ground zero .
Concetrics Amals should have a 180 main jet and a 25 pilot . If there is no pilot it might be bushed but you should install a pilot just incase it won't hurt anything if it is bushed and you run a pilot to . Clean out your needle seat with a tab of tooth paste and a Q-tip to make sure the flaot needle seats . Set the needle to the middle clip position and 1 1/2 turn out on the mixture screw .
Also check your spark for strength by reomoving a plug cap and wedging the lead between the fins ( about 1/4 away ) and kick it . The spark should jump to the fin and be Bright blue

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rejetted leaner and finally got her started and running better. Got Autolites from Checkers and got Champions from Autozone. Running the champions first. So far so good. Finally got to go around the friggin' block and then some! :) Still some more tuning to do though.

Thanks for the help on the plugs guys! Once I get the carbs dialed in and running well, I'll trying switching back and forth between the autolites and the champs to see if one does better than the other.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Autolites suck in my opinion. I had brand new autolites in my BSA and couldn't get the bike to fire. Went through everything, rewired the bike twice. It still wouldn't fire. Changed out to some NGK, and she started on the first kick.

true story.

But then again, I have a friend with a sportster who swears by em. Go figure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts