Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
I've bought a few things from that Dennis Kirk close-out sight and the stuff I got wasn't as nice as I expected. Just be careful of those guys is my opinion.

As for the pistons themselves, someone told me once that it's good to spend the money for "made in England" pistons. Made sense to me, so I went with a set of English pistons and rings. Looked at a lot of auctions like that where the prices seemed really good. Ultimately didn't chance it though.

caffeine said:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
I've been using the Cycle-craft Japanese pistons on Triumphs for a couple years and haven't had any problems with them.

As with any pistons, correct fitment, good bore/hone job, and proper ring setup is the key.

Cleaning up the sharp edges around the valve pockets with some emory paper helps prevent pinging.

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
McElroy is right. I have used Hepolites and the Cycle caft pistons for the last couple years too and they are roughly comparable. I think the hepolites are better quality and will probably last longer, but the Cycle craft ones are good stuff.



Alot of the reputation of the Tai and Japanese stuff comes from the mid-seventies when the quality was not so good. I think it took them some years to get dialed in. Until the seventies there were a lot of American manufacturers who made Triumph pistons. Lots of old guys around here will not use the Tai or japanese stuff because of their experience with them 30 odd years back. One guy I know insists the Tai pistons heat up faster and will seize unless you give an extra thou of clearance in your bore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
but the Cycle craft ones are good stuff.


hepolite rings & cycle craft pistons seemed best combo to me

what have you heard about the new super cheap emgo pistons ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Wes, where are the Hepolites made? I may be screwed up in my statement above (wouldn't be the first time). I think Hepolites are what I was told to use...
fouraceswes said:
McElroy is right. I have used Hepolites and the Cycle caft pistons for the last couple years too and they are roughly comparable. I think the hepolites are better quality and will probably last longer, but the Cycle craft ones are good stuff.

Alot of the reputation of the Tai and Japanese stuff comes from the mid-seventies when the quality was not so good. I think it took them some years to get dialed in. Until the seventies there were a lot of American manufacturers who made Triumph pistons. Lots of old guys around here will not use the Tai or japanese stuff because of their experience with them 30 odd years back. One guy I know insists the Tai pistons heat up faster and will seize unless you give an extra thou of clearance in your bore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
I've used both. No problems except with rings, and that was in the mid-80's and could have been other factors.

I think Dave's right. The AE Hepolite or Hastings rings are better.

It's more of a mental thing with me. I have a problem w/ using asian parts. As our economy tanks from the loss of decent paying manufacturing jobs, the *********** economy get stronger. The Wal-Mart mentality has infected this country, and it's feeding a monster. Too many ****** that would love to piss on our graves. Rant over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
That dktrader stuff is junk.That's why someone else has returned or didn't buy in the first place.I agree that the quality has gotten better with the jap or tiawanese parts but you can't beat the english parts for long lasting value.Just my 2 cents worth,Frosty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Cycle Craft in mine 40 over and I ride my bike like it belongs to someone else.

I hope that the emgo pistons are better than there piece of shit pet cocks that break leak and then break again.I aint seen much from emgo I would use cept maybe handlebar grips and I would not be surprised if they haven't found away to make them break toooo!!!!!!

You answered your own question when you said super chep.....I am always willing to spend a little more when it comes to a piston because it means work if somethin goes wrong and could mean high price parts replacement.

Just my .02

Shoe
classicbike said:
but the Cycle craft ones are good stuff.

hepolite rings & cycle craft pistons seemed best combo to me

what have you heard about the new super cheap emgo pistons ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Hey Rob....

Is this a secret project? You usually document the hell out of your projects. Looking forward to seeing it. I have a 71 Trump that I am kinda close to being done with. Are you going to bring it to the Smokeout?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike V said:
Hey Rob....

Is this a secret project? You usually document the hell out of your projects. Looking forward to seeing it. I have a 71 Trump that I am kinda close to being done with. Are you going to bring it to the Smokeout?
maybe ill bring a bike to the smokeout....but, its really kinda pointless for me as im SO busy at the smokeout, i think this year i walked around ONCE. Id never get a chance to ride there.

and na its not that secret. just a triumph. nothing special/crazy/different.

i really just wanted to learn more about motors and motor work. as my next project will pretty much require it for sure haha.

after doing this triumph motor though, i cant see how i would ever build a bike without building the motor too....it just wouldnt feel right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
VA Rebel said:
Too many ****** that would love to piss on our graves. Rant over.
How fucking stupid is this? This kind of backwater, ******* shit is totally fucking retarded. Why not just buy American products if you think it helps our economy and be done with it?

And yes rob, both sets of the pistons are been fine in my opinion, I have always just bought whatever is more easily available when I need to order and been fine whichever kind of piston I bought. That being said, I have only logged maybe 8,000 miles total on my triumphs over the years, one has the japanese and one has the hepolite pistons, no difference between the two that I can see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tha Nutz said:
How fucking stupid is this? This kind of backwater, ******* shit is totally fucking retarded. Why not just buy American products if you think it helps our economy and be done with it?

And yes rob, both sets of the pistons are been fine in my opinion, I have always just bought whatever is more easily available when I need to order and been fine whichever kind of piston I bought. That being said, I have only logged maybe 8,000 miles total on my triumphs over the years, one has the japanese and one has the hepolite pistons, no difference between the two that I can see.
thanks, i wasnt going to say anything and here goes the can of worms but around here american work ethic sucks, i have no problem buying foreign. hell its a triumph!!! jesus. haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
*******? Right on target. I try to buy damn near everything I can made in the US of A. Also look for the Union label. When I woke up this morning, this was still a matter of choice. My hope is that someday my kids will also be able to make this choice.

Retarded? I think you need a lesson in economics. With a $43 trillion US deficit our ship will come in, riding on a Tsunami.

Yes, just like your Triumph, made in England, so I like to patronize the cottage industry that still exists there. Don't buy from them, and they will cease to exist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
I can't & don't speak for anyone other than myself, but past experience with cheap asian re-pop parts has bit me in the ass more than once.

The problem I had was the asian rings wouldn't seat correctly, smoked & burned oil. AE or Hastings rings resolve this issue.

The fit and quality of other parts come to mind. Clutch centers and baskets that were not properly hardened or machined. Bearings that did not hold up. Exhaust systems that were a pathetic fit and poorly chromed. Castings that were junk from the moment they left the mold. All of the above can cause economic hardship and much frustration.

You ask for advice. I have been wrenching and riding Brit bikes since '81. That's nothing compared to many that post here, but it is my experience.

Buy what you want, ride what you want. As I stated above, you still have a choice. For that I am thankful.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top