Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Newb here,been studying and watching everything I can about re-assembling this TR7RV engine.I don't want to make any mistakes or miss any steps. Any assembly tips, help offered will be read,remembered and appreciated. I also got a gasket set and not sure where every rubber ring goes. Is there an exploded view link available for triumph 650 750 engines?
I tore the engine apart last year.Finally got the parts to rebuild.
I had theses jugs measured and was told it's .020 over stock.
I bought the Emgo pistons and they do say JCC inside.
I got the matching Emgo ring set also with them.I have never set gap on rings before. I read posts on here where they said emgo rings are junk and too big of a gap.These do not seem like they will cause that problem.
they fit very tight in the jug.I also have a question about my push rods.do these all look useable? why is one tapered on edge,and why do 3 have holes in the cup?

and two holes in the tappets the cam pushes up to push the rods.I guess it's for oil, but why not all four?now looking at the pics it seems like wear. one has copper looking tips.My first big question, does this cylinder wall prep look good?

Should I have been hoping for more of a cleaner, no vertical lines, cross hatch look? I really don't see much cross hatching.I saw on youtube Lunmad using sandpaper, don't remember the grit.
I cleaned the case surface and it still has a black stained look on the surface.What should I do to make the surfaces seal correctly?should I keep the gaskets dry when I assemble? or use a thin coating of silicone I saw someone use. and if so, what brand,color and style silicone do I look for? I heard a few times "install the pistons dry".The 3 piece ring on the bottom of the piston seems too wide to fit in the bottom groove on the piston.two will fit.I don't want to try and force it in and damage the new rings. are they squeezed in?
As I took pics I figured it out.Put the bottom and middle part on, then the top. I'm sure I have more q's as I go, but these are some things weighing on my mind as I realize success is all about correct assembly procedures.It's been three years in the making and I want to ride this bike until the end of time. I think most mechanical jobs seem tough until you do it. With a degree of parts ,tools ,knowledge(that's where you come in!) and error. I already know more about this machine than I thought I ever could. It's my first ring job.Probably not my last.Where should I place these gaps on the 3 piece ring? I read about staggering them. But these go opposite? or is this correct? I know they will have to come back off for gapping.I wanted to see if I could get them on.
Thank you for any help.I know,being this green. Get a friggin' manual! Sometimes a person will give better tips and knowledge than a manual.I know some of you guys lived inside these engines for years. I want to get there also and know every nut ,bolt and part in there and how to inspect,prep and install them. If I do get a manual, what is the best one to get? As these q's are answered,they will be here for all to use.That's what this site is about.Sharing knowledge.If I can answer anybodys q's in the future, I will be glad to.Thanks J.J. ! Tom Mitchell.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yes, you absolutely have to get a manual. There's also a good video out there about how to assemble the engine--better get that too.

Cylinder doesn't look too good, but the only way to know for sure is to measure it (see the manual).
Hone job doesn't look too good either. It's best to have all this work done by a shop specializing in old British bikes.
The only gasket I use in my engines is the head gasket, for all other surfaces I use a thin film of Yamabond on one surface only.
Lacquer thinner may help remove the blackness from the case mating surfaces.

Take your pushrods and other questionable bits to the same British bike shop that measures your cylinder and get an expert's opinion.

Building a Triumph engine is not a task for novice engine builders, you should probably try and find some help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Buy the Triumph factory service and parts manuals and consider a Haynes manual too. Join Britbike.com forum and the answers to your questions are there and much, much more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
very kind of you all to reply. Thanks for the Yamabond and laquer thinner knowledge! Do you put yamabond on the head gasket also? I had the jugs measured and honed.I'm on a very limited cash flow. I was told it's .020 over stock and the pistons in there were stock.The honing was pretty much a freebee job.With and before that,I offered and paid 50 bucks for a diagnosis why the bike wouldn't run at my house.We spent an hour messing with it.He thought it may be my electrical wiring job and went and got some info to check.Tried a couple different re wires of the coils and blew fuses twice.I wired it from the net and had nice spark 38 degrees before TDC,not 180 off . I set, advanced and retarded timing to see if that helps. It did not.He also earlier brought and put a missing rubber o-ring on my amal carb I had asked about. I later got a compression tester from Autozone. It should have been my first move. As I recall after 10 kicks,I got around 60-70 psi on each.(I heard you need at least 100) Then decided to pull the top end off and couldn't get one headbolt to budge. I pulled the engine part way out of the frame, tilted it and could then slide the head off over the stuck case to head bolt. There was a mushroom looking hunk of carbon soot stuck on one of the valves, and the rings were glued into the pistons. I'm here in Watertown NY Rustybill. I see you're in Niverville by Albany. Everything I can't figure out I have learned from the net,from asking Josh Hartz and other local wrenches and mostly just trying stuff. I had this whole machine together,took it down to the frame,took top end off and kept all the small parts together for a year in coffee cans,and now see and remember where they all go (besides a few 0-rings, I will figure that out too.)That for me is it's own feat.She just needed compression.Now I have new pistons and rings and am very close to making this 2000 dollar hunk of shit run! Is Clymers the best for this bike? Saw them on ebay. Here is a video of me working on the bike last winter.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
get Wes Whites video... aside from all the manuals... i built my Triumph engine using it step by step..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rusty and BHead1968! I'll find it, thank you for the help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow! nice. ask and you shall receive!! Thank you Rustybill! .So much info it froze my shitty pc!. I will find a pdf. file reader. It's all in code.I can't wait to see it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.