Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i'm in the scanning and posting mood. where can a guy find side a cover like this??? from a chopper circa 1975

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah ,you're not the only one ,those finned timing covers are cool!!!!!!.
Basically there were a few types available ,the old Iron Horse did a bit of a retrospective on them in the late 70s.
One type of timing cover was made by John Glew of Bell Auto Parts ,they were cast up in the late 40s.
Lou Kizer of San Diego made some too, and they had a tacho drive at the front of the cover being driven off the generator pinion,they might have been the bell ones recast, but I dont really know.
Larry Howard of Award Cycle made some as shown on one of his bikes below (1960s).
The Iron Horse article said that the patterns for the Larry Howard cover were later owned by Jungle Jim's in Lynwood California.
If I was in USA i'd be talking to the old triumph guys and historic racers to get leads and if i found a cover I'd get it scanned and machined out of billet and start selling them again(or recast if it was cheaper).
If anyone has more photos ,they'd be good to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Make that three of us! Last time I was at Wes's shop he had one (not for sale of course), but he does know a little bit about them if I remember right. If someone finds a stash of them somewhere, put me on the list to purchase! Very cool timing cover!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Forget it. You will NEVER find one. I searched high and low for 5 years, searched mountain tops in Massachussettes, Vallies in Virginia. I scoured every inch of old barns and shops in Californ-i-a and everywhere in between. I finally found one lurking in Washington state. It is the Award Cycle variety. I never laid my hands on one, barly saw any pictures of one, then there it was in a Fedex package, the first I had seen in person, the first I laid my hands on. I am planning to put it on my old T-bird for the David mann show in December. ANY pre-unit finned cover is as rare as can be, the Award Cycle variety is the most "common." Lou Kaiser ides in the mid-eighties, he made them for Christ's sake and he did not even have one when he died, the guy (whom I traced) who got all of kaiser's stuff does not have one. I get a woody and the hair stands up on the back of my neck everytime i walk by the display case. To me it was like having a son when it arrived. (Course I have no son so I really don't know). But they are the ultimate piece I can guarantee you that.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great now i really want one. the search is on....
wes what about haveing some cast from your cover? or would that be wrong?

fouraceswes said:
Forget it. You will NEVER find one. I searched high and low for 5 years, searched mountain tops in Massachussettes, Vallies in Virginia. I scoured every inch of old barns and shops in Californ-i-a and everywhere in between. I finally found one lurking in Washington state. It is the Award Cycle variety. I never laid my hands on one, barly saw any pictures of one, then there it was in a Fedex package, the first I had seen in person, the first I laid my hands on. I am planning to put it on my old T-bird for the David mann show in December. ANY pre-unit finned cover is as rare as can be, the Award Cycle variety is the most "common." Lou Kaiser ides in the mid-eighties, he made them for Christ's sake and he did not even have one when he died, the guy (whom I traced) who got all of kaiser's stuff does not have one. I get a woody and the hair stands up on the back of my neck everytime i walk by the display case. To me it was like having a son when it arrived. (Course I have no son so I really don't know). But they are the ultimate piece I can guarantee you that.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
hmmmmmm, I don't know. On the one hand, capitalism rules and if i could make a buck or two, why not? On the other hand, if everybody has one, then he rarity is gone, and maybe some of the thrill too. I have had offers to cast them up from some guys, but right now I want to just keep it for its rarity.

I paid $400 for mine, just made the offer and they guy acted like I was nuts for offering so much. On the other hand if I had said $200 he might have balked and not sold it at all. I don't know. An old dude came into the shop and saw it, then said he had the earlier Kaiser type cover, I offered him $500 for it on the spot and he would not take it. One man's trash. . .

On the practical side, it is not just the casting. The pre-unit timing cover had oil passages that ran oil to the crank and provided a pressure release mechanism, so it is not just cast a cover and stick it on. There is a pretty significant amount of machining that needs to go on too. I think by the time you cast it and machined it, you might have more into it than people were willing to pay. I mean, what would you guys pay or one?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah Wes,I see the point about having something unique for your 'sickle and that having lots of repro covers will some how diminish that,and to some degree it will ,but I guess its a bit like the genuine knuckle HD engines vs the new repros,the original still has more intrinsic value and cool factor to most people .
Be a capitalist make a buck or two and make some finned timing covers,even put a small four aces logo on them.I'd look into CNC machining out of billet as an alternative to casting too as the price might be better .

Patch,Gday ,thanks for posting the pic nice to know there are a few aussies into cool stuff.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
This is where Dave is supposed to ring in and say "I can cast that for you!" ;)

I agree with Wes about the oil gallys and everything though! It's like a maze in there! I also agree with you Wes when you said it makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck when you walk by the case!! I remember walking into your shop thinking "holy shit.... look at that!!!!" It's a rad cover man! I wouldn't ever sell that thing either! I wouldn't cast off it either! Screw that!

If a new one was to be cast, it might be worth it to actually design a worth while cover. Use and old one and weld fins to it in a "unique" fashion. Design the mold and maybe even improve the oiling system if it can be done. Maybe even improve the overall DESIGN of the whole cover including location of the oil block, the end bushing for the crank and Oil Pressure Release Valve, etc. etc. I'm not sure that the pre-unit oiling is all that ineffiant anyway, but it would be cool if someone tried out a whole new design for the cover.

Just thoughts and dreaming... probably easier to find the impossible to find finned cover...

Don't sell that damn cover Wes! I want to see it on your T-bird! :)

Bugeye13, why could you run one of these with a Joe Hunt? I've got a Joe Hunt on my pre-unit and it doesn't seem to interfere with anything related to that cover...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Scoot,
When I posted it I wasn't paying any attention to the fact
of it being a preunit. I have a unit motor. BUT I STILL WANT ONE.
Some day I may have a preunit. Rob

·
Registered
256 Posts
fouraceswes said:
hmmmmmm, I don't know. On the one hand, capitalism rules and if i could make a buck or two, why not? On the other hand, if everybody has one, then he rarity is gone, and maybe some of the thrill too. I have had offers to cast them up from some guys, but right now I want to just keep it for its rarity.
ive had a few pass through my hands as well and its like holding a fine vase or something a repop wouldnt interest me a bit... i pay 400 to have another original

but i did buy a couple of the repop cats head tail lights as i heard that only 1000 were made and i cant see paying 300 for a vintage plastic cats head..to each his own i guess

·
Registered
397 Posts
Try your local bar or night club... she'll probably be wearing more clothing though.

Sam.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
glorydays said:
oh you big ol mean pooopyhead... now you done went & done it... we were all us exclusive investors watching & waiting to bid & now you done put the whole world on it, there goes our chance at getting a decent price...

I knew all along he was talkin about Wes when he said this (btw, Fuck people that use all caps) :

"THERE IS A LOCAL MOTORCYCLE LEGEND WHO SOME SAY HAS A DIFFERENT VERSION OF THIS FINNED COVER BUT IT IS LOCKED IN VAULT AND YOU CAN FORGET ABOUT BUYING THAT ONE."

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Here's a 2006 "Lytedrive" original for a fraction of the cost of the "reserve not met" ebay deal above.A lot less hassle than trying to locate an old one,and comes machined for a modern oilseal rather than the bronze bush set up.Just as cool as the old ones too.

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Looks pretty good. Baron's Speed Shop was going to produce some last year, but I think those were cast versions of the Award Cycle version - with the bigger, raised fins. Don't know if they ever got made.

I'd be in line to buy one. Also waiting for Small City Cycles to produce finned primary covers - the two covers would make for one sexy engine!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Thanks for posting that one up Quaffmiester;The Big D version looks CNC machined as you can just see the tool path marks(could be wrong) looks fantastic. I thought the Lou Kaiser ones had a boss to access the magneto gear
There WAS a bloke called Bikepender on ebay selling finned pre unit tacho timing covers-They looked very well made ,but I cant comment on the fit.
Zeeman ,I was just emailing Todd about the primaries ,I suspect his Born Free bike is stalling the finned primary production
Cheers R

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Only two types of people can find these: people with money and people with luck, and usually the latter. There is someone on this board who has a lot of luck with pre-units.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts