Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know, everyones got an opinion on oil, and this is one of the most hated q's on the HAMB, but...

I have a 66 triumph T100c, 500cc, drag pipes w/o muffs, and a concentric amal carb (that is shitty). All other engine shit is stock except the boyer and tympannium. Bike has been sitting and getting redone for close to a year. Rode strong when it was stock and had it running before I gave it the "treatment". Anyway, after building it up into a low and lean rigid, it is about time to get it fired. Besides the carb and other misc. stuff to get a bike roadworthy after a timeout,

What kind of oil should I use? I replaced the top-end gaskets including the head gasket. No other engine work was done.

I kicked it over a few times w/ straight 30 kendall, but seemed waaaayyy too thick. Fired, but seemed sluggish when I checked the oil outlet after the pump to make sure it was flowing.

I hear shit here and there about not using detergent oils or multi-weights in brits.

So, can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks, Erron
ps-sorry about the novel I just wrote.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Englishman said:
20/50 is the stuff to use there.

You did get the sludge tube cleaned out.... right?
The breather on the bottom of the case? I blew that out with compressed air. If it is the breather on the oil tank, I am using a new tank.
Is that the sludge tube?
Thanks, Erron

·
Registered
944 Posts
ratwagon said:
The breather on the bottom of the case? I blew that out with compressed air. If it is the breather on the oil tank, I am using a new tank.
Is that the sludge tube?
Thanks, Erron
The sludge tube is located in the crankshaft, it collects the crap before it gets to your rod journals.
Eventually, it will collect so much the flow will be cut off, and then it's bye-bye rod bearings (followed by rods and then cases).

You have to split the cases to get to it. :(

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, I have not gone through the bottom end of the engine. My first bike, and I just want to get it running again and have some fun for a month or two before the engine goes under the knife in the winter.
Thanks for the info,
Erron

·
Registered
944 Posts
ratwagon said:
Like I said, I have not gone through the bottom end of the engine. My first bike, and I just want to get it running again and have some fun for a month or two before the engine goes under the knife in the winter.
Thanks for the info,
Erron
OK, just be aware and ready to grab that clutch when the bearing lets go, happened to me at 50 mph, it was only the second time I had got the engine running, the bottom end felt just fine on that one too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts