Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good techique for removing a stubborn oil pump???

I've tried tapping it with a soft mallet... tried to rock it back and forth... no luck. I need to resort to more drastic measures, but don't want to go crazy until I see if anyone has any ideas... Heat? Pry? ???

Thanks
-B

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
sideshow01 said:
Anyone have a good techique for removing a stubborn oil pump???

I've tried tapping it with a soft mallet... tried to rock it back and forth... no luck. I need to resort to more drastic measures, but don't want to go crazy until I see if anyone has any ideas... Heat? Pry? ???

Thanks
-B
dont pry, as that mating surface ahas to be pretty straight...and prying is only going to screw it up as it sits on 2 studs , any prying is going to make it probably more difficult to get off.

i only have experience with unit motors, but id say a few taps and some heat autta do it. maybe soak in some penetrating oil.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll try a little heat.

BTW, I know you're rebulding yours as well... Did you do any machining yet? Loooking for a place in central Jersey. I've got one place in mind but haven't spoken to them yet. A guy down the street from my brother is apparently one of the biggest Vincent guys around. He recommended it, so I'll give him a shout, but would be nice to check out a few places.

Thanks
-B

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
What he said! Heat, tappity tap tap, maybe some lube but definitely NO PRYING!!
caffeine said:
dont pry, as that mating surface ahas to be pretty straight...and prying is only going to screw it up as it sits on 2 studs , any prying is going to make it probably more difficult to get off.

i only have experience with unit motors, but id say a few taps and some heat autta do it. maybe soak in some penetrating oil.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
sideshow01 said:
Thanks, I'll try a little heat.

BTW, I know you're rebulding yours as well... Did you do any machining yet? Loooking for a place in central Jersey. I've got one place in mind but haven't spoken to them yet. A guy down the street from my brother is apparently one of the biggest Vincent guys around. He recommended it, so I'll give him a shout, but would be nice to check out a few places.

Thanks
-B
no but the only machining i really need is probably a bore/hone. my crank was good.

what type of machining are you in need of?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a little thread issue on one of the spark plug holes. Also, one of the cylinder base stud threads in one of the cases looks a little nasty. So far that's what I've seen. I haven't split the cases yet, cuz I'm waiting for my crank pinion puller to show up. I think I'm gonna try to track down a 750 kit. If not, maybe clean up my current cyl., although it doesn't look too bad. Aside from the spark plug hole, the head looks good too. But WTF do I know!

Thanks!
-B

caffeine said:
no but the only machining i really need is probably a bore/hone. my crank was good.

what type of machining are you in need of?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts