Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just converted my 650 to a spin on oil filter. I used a wix 57013 for an older Harley plumbed into the feed line from the oil tank to the engine. I got it hooked up and it seems to be working fine after getting the air out of the oil lines I have plenty of oil pressure, but when I shut the bike off the oil pressure doesn't drop right to zero like it used to, the gauge drops down to 30psi or so and takes a minute or so before dropping back to zero. The bike wasn't fully warmed up when I tried it but I want to make sure everything is ok before I start riding again. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you put the filter on the feed line? So the pump has to suck the oil through the filter,
Seems backwards to me.
this would allow all the debree to go sit in the oil tank and then when it is dislodged it would get picked up by the filter.
Also the pump would tend to take the oil real fast that is in the line near the pump and then the pump would cavitate and cause excessive pump wear.

Maybe it will work fine, time will tell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with Tony, it's normal practice to fit the filter in the return line.
With the filter fitted to the feed line, apart from the problems already mentioned, if the filter gets clogged, or collapses, it's goodbye engine!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't think about it that way, I figured clean oil as it went to the engine. I'll change it up. Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Clean up dirty oil and it is clean when it comes back around.
you will be pushing clean oil back through. But it's more of a pressure thing as I understand it.

td

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured since I have a mechanical oil gauge I would see any problems before they happen, but I imagine it would be harder on the pump to pull through the filter than to push through it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts