Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had been looking for a project after selling off a bike I finished 5 years ago. I enjoy the process of rebuilding as much as riding. Dan's angry monkey builds look amazing and that's the direction I would like to go.
I found a bike locally that looked pretty good in pictures and after talking with the owner I bought it sight unseen (never done that before) as I didn't want to miss out. It ticked several boxes listed below .
1. Bolt on hard tail already installed with original rear supplied in the deal.
2. Pre compliance (1975) no requirement for indicators.
3. Not a matching number bike so less guilt with modifying it.
Here she is. It's a 70 T120 with a 77 T140 motor.
First two pics are changing the horn button to a posh internally wired one and bars as the originals were too wide and too much pull back.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I like the backwards mufflers. Now that's perverse!

Welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the welcome.
So purchasing unseen has its pitfalls and the more I look at the bike the more I find things I don't like/want to change.
First is the rear wheel and guard.
First question I have is what is involved in lacing a 16 inch harley wheel to the triumph hub?
I'm thinking find a 40 spoke rim, lace, get the axle spacing right and be careful selecting tyre width due to chain rub as the current 120 tyre is close as it is.
Is there anything else I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Mumble mumble mumble lace the new rim up with sufficient offset (to starboard) so nothing frets.

Hm. I meant to direct you to some relevant threads, but it looks as if the recent JJ gussy-up has not extended to its search procedures. I searched back to January 2015 for an "Offset" header, but nothing came up. Don't worry, someone competent will probly come along soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'Offset' thank you I have been searching harley wheel to triumph, tyre clearance triumph etc and coming up with junk. Searching offset comes up with a deepened of info, thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the long list of things to fix/replace is the blowing from the breather tube. Like blow the leaves from under the bike type pressure.
This is probably the main issue with the bike, my question for the forum is I assume this is excessive and from rings not sealing correctly in the bores?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
is there oil blowing out ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some oil vapour does appear to be coming out and once the motor is stopped several drops will be found under the vent tube after about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm doing the wheel offset game myself, with a Triumph hub and Harley 16" wheel, no less. I grabbed these two from the earlier iteration of JJ as reference a year or more ago, if they help at all. Had I been smart, I'd have screengrabbed to include the OP, so that I (or you) could bug them on it, but alas. Hindsight and all that.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
wind it over (if you have spoke length) and make sure its not too wobbly as it spins

1 - 11 of 11 Posts