Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
72 TR6. Recently finished putting it together (not new engine rebuild), started to kick, and the pin that holds the kick lever snapped (the threaded part - so it wasn't seated all the way). Now, the kick lever has nothing to grab on, and when it do push on it, all it does is pop (guessing that has to do with the pin again not being seated). However, when I do get the pin seated, the kick lever is then locked up (won't budge). Any ideas here?

My guess is I have some gearbox issues but this is a first go around for me so I'm scratching my head a bit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Put the bike in gear, then rock it back and forth once or twice and try again. A worn kicker quadrant won't always mesh properly with the pinion gear on the tranny mainshaft. By rocking the bike a little, you're turning the pinion gear to a spot where hopefully the kicker will mesh.

Eric

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That may have helped. However now, while I can kick and turn the engine over (so I know it isn't stuck), when in gear, I am not going anywhere. My guess is I have a clutch/gear problem that needs some attention. Any ideas on what to do or look for?

·
Registered
45 Posts
pull the outer cover and check to see if the return spring has slipped off the pin or spline. that might be part of the problem.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Have you ever ridden the bike before? Just curious if you know that clutch is set up right. If the kicker returns back to the top automatically .... then the return spring is on. FYI.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't ridden it before - kicker is returning so that seems ok (kicker problem seems to have resolved itself). But basically, now the issues is once I engage any gear outside of neutral, I am basically locked up - i.e. no rolling or moving outside of neutral.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like something is off inside the tranny broken and or missing teeth. I mean this considering you are pulling the clutch in while you try to move with bike in gear.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
But basically, now the issues is once I engage any gear outside of neutral, I am basically locked up - i.e. no rolling or moving outside of neutral.
Well that's really odd, the only thing I can think of that would cause that would be a layshaft frozen in its bearings. How does your tranny fluid look? Any sign of water in it?

Eric

·
Registered
588 Posts
I dont mean to be Capt. Obvious but ...... Just in case ........ If you have the clutch released it won't roll in gear because it has to push through the motor. Im not insulting your intelligence but we've all had brain f**ks before. Maybe just me but just in case i am not alone.

Example from my buddy. "Hey bro, i tried kicking your bike and the kicker kept slipping like there is no compression", Me, "were you pulling in the clutch?" , Him, "Ya, what a dumbass"

You get the point.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont mean to be Capt. Obvious but ...... Just in case ........ If you have the clutch released it won't roll in gear because it has to push through the motor. Im not insulting your intelligence but we've all had brain f**ks before. Maybe just me but just in case i am not alone.

Example from my buddy. "Hey bro, i tried kicking your bike and the kicker kept slipping like there is no compression", Me, "were you pulling in the clutch?" , Him, "Ya, what a dumbass"

You get the point.
Indeed. Fortunately, while I may have been pushing with the clutch released, I also covered my basis and had the clutch in. Short of it, clutch in, a little bit of rocking back and forth, and seems to have gotten things moving. I am guessing the fluid level is low or something is "stuck" in the tranny (likely stating the obvious). Either way, dropped in some marvel mystery oil last night and will see if that doesn't loosen things up in general (read another post that said drop some diesel in and let it sit). There's probably something else wrong in there, but before I tear that apart, want to see if I can't get it kicked into life, before messing around too much more.

·
Registered
726 Posts
dont assume there is something wrong just yet! i would be quite surprised to find one that had been sitting for while that DID`NT have frozen plates!
seen `em froze so hard that the bike was started,clutch pulled in and throttle up/ KICK into gear! a trip around the parking lot[w/clutch pulled in] and the plated unfroze! a little adjusting and the clutch worked![NOT great, but NO serious surprises!] at this point, you KNOW you need to at least clean, if not replace the plates/springs....but most people like to get therm in running shape first........

·
Registered
1 Posts
Boy its nice to know your not alone! I thank you guys for the simple reminders and the great definition of the clutch plates sticking etc. i just got my bike fired up after some electrical sorting and rebuilding the carbs. This bike was acquired from a barn (along with my 73mgbgt). It had been sitting since 97 (at the very least) . She fired and ran like a champ this morning- couldn't resist a quick blast around the block. Getting her into first gear seemed unlikely as it sounded like I had no clutch, when i started to shift, it was all gear, no smooth clutch.into a groove- instinctively, I decided to try and adjust the clutch cable at the bars like I would on my dirt bike- that allowed me to get it into gear, the clutch disengaged at the very end of the release of the lever and off i went- She shifted through great, stayed running, brought her back and parked her. Sat on my stool and stared at her seething, little bits of residual smoke off the headers and tailpipes. I was thrilled. Got back on for fun to see how she would start once warm. The kicker slid right through, with no real compression to speak of- didnt feel broken, and sounded like it was slightly causing a bit of compression, but not biting enough to fire her up. I now assume this is likely the sticking clutch plates??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts