Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I just bought the brass finned inspection caps from lowbrow and they dont fit my rocker covers... the engine is a 71 tr6r... the caps as advertised should fit a 63-72 engine.. the threads start but the cover wont take the whole cap.. I compared the stock cap with he brass one and the brass is like .020 larger than the stock ones.. and the thread pitch doesn't match.
Any suggestions before I return them.. just trying to figure this out..

here's a pic from lowbrow

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
...yeah, unless you have owned the bike or known the owner from original purchase, things may not be "original" to the motor....these motors are over 40+ years old ..at some point parts get "changed" with what is on hand....
my motor is a 68 bonnie...when it came time to order a clutch cable..I found out the hard way (several cables later) my kicker cover and clutch mech. is a 67....not much difference, except that the 67 cable is shorter......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok old thread but no body ever chimed in with the thread sizes. I would like to clean up my threads with a tap if possible. Not sure what size to look for, preunit in my case. Anybody?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
tappet caps are the same size for all unit Triumphs with round caps.

you either have pre-unit caps or there is an aftermarket quality issue.

pre-unit caps are about a 1/4" larger in diameter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.