Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Triumph seems to be eating batteries. Its a pretty basic bike with only a head light and tail light, but it also has a Boyer ignition. I'm thinking that the system isn't charging. I can put a new battery in it, and a couple of days later, every time I put on the brake or the head light, the bike dies. If I disconnect both, I can almost make it home before the bike dies and won't fire. Any ideas?

Spike
PS- Its a '66 650 Tiger..

·
Registered
936 Posts
Spike! said:
My Triumph seems to be eating batteries. Its a pretty basic bike with only a head light and tail light, but it also has a Boyer ignition. I'm thinking that the system isn't charging. I can put a new battery in it, and a couple of days later, every time I put on the brake or the head light, the bike dies. If I disconnect both, I can almost make it home before the bike dies and won't fire. Any ideas?

Spike
PS- Its a '66 650 Tiger..
When you're saying Boyer ignition, are your talking the points replacement system, Or the whole Boyer package shebang? If its just the points replacement, and your still running the Lucas electrical system - sounds like the diode. If your running a Sparx or tympanium, check the connection between the stator and unit. You can run a voltage check on the unit output if you get it running for a little.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds like your not charging. Put a voltmeter across the battery and check the voltage (it should be 12-12.5 volts min.) run the bike and it should jump up to 13-14 volt range. If not your charging system needs help. If you haven't replaced all the Lucas crap with a solid state regulator, you will need too. How old is your battery? have you run it dry? did everything work ok with the Boyer before now? Also a lot of people recomend up grading the alternators output with a new HiPo stator/rotor assembly to cover the higher current demands of the Boyer units. I do know if you if your system is in good working order and you keep the rpm's up you will be ok, but if the altenator needs replacing it's better to go with a HiOutput unit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has the whole Boyer she-bang deal. Looks like it needs a new charging system, and I'll go with a hi-Po unit. Any idea of cost involved here?

Spike

·
Registered
287 Posts
Spike! said:
It has the whole Boyer she-bang deal. Looks like it needs a new charging system, and I'll go with a hi-Po unit. Any idea of cost involved here?

Spike
Sparx makes a high output stator unit for around $300.00. I had a similar problem with my BSA. Check your ground and make sure you haven't got a bad connection. Are all your connections soldered or are you running some crimped connections? If you are, pull the crimps out and solder everything. It might help, it did on mine.

You can pull your stator out and check to see if it is still magnetized. A screwdriver should be able to pull it off of a workbench. If the magnets are weak, it will fall off the screwdriver.

There is a ton of good info on Britbike.com about charging and whatnot. Do you have a service manual that shows how to test your stator?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to go through all my wiring, just to make sure its not a bad connection, and it very well could be. Everything was fine until I changed out handle bars that had electrical in them for switches and a horn, ETC... Well, I took all that stuff out and kinda crimped and pieced things together. I'm thinking maybe theres some bad connections or ground or something. That would be my first guess. I'll get to it soon. Maybe in the up coming week or so.

However, If it does need a new charging system, I'll check here first. Thanks, you guys are rulers.

Spike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts